Frequently Asked Questions

Must my supervisor and I complete a telework agreement before I work from home?

Normally, a formal agreement would need to be signed. In these unprecedented times, we are temporarily suspending this requirement and replacing it with an email exchange initiated by the supervisor to employee. The employee would then reply indicating agreement and understanding. Supervisors should keep a record of all their employees who are temporarily telecommuting. Additionally, supervisors should forward a copy of the email exchange to their HR Consultant.

Should employees report to work?

Faculty and staff should work remotely to the extent possible. In an effort to ensure the health and well-being of all faculty and staff only "designated" employees should continue to work on campus. Supervisors now have the authority to identify those who should report and those who should work remotely.

We urge all supervisors, managers, and unit heads to be as flexible as possible to ensure the safety of employees working on campus. JMU already has university policies in place that may aid in social distancing. Please review Alternate Work Schedules policy and the Flexible Work Arrangements policy to see if any of the options available could help you keep your employees safe. Supervisors may seek additional guidance from their HR consultant.

Faculty and staff may return to campus intermittently to complete their work or to collect items necessary to work remotely. While on campus, employees are required to practice social distancing and proper hygiene.

As an employee, can the University Health Center answer my COVID-19 questions?

Given the unprecedented changes in the JMU community related to the coronavirus pandemic, the JMU University Health Center (UHC) has agreed to take calls from employees who have questions about COVID-19.

If you have questions about COVID-19, such as how to protect yourself and your family, what is social distancing, should you self-isolate, etc., we encourage you to first visit the UHC website for information and links to many helpful sites. If you still have questions regarding work operations or employee health related to COVID-19, you may call UHC at 540-568-6178. A member of the UHC team will receive your question, return your call, and respond to any questions you have. They will not be screening patients, conducting remote examinations, diagnosing illnesses, or writing prescriptions.

JMU University Health Center hours: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00  p.m., and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday; and 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.  on Friday

What do I do if my Duo has stopped working?

My Duo stopped working. My email password expires tomorrow and I am not sure how to reset without coming into the office. The JMU Help Desk said I needed to contact Human Resources for them to have permission to reset my duo.

Please leave a message at 540-568-6165 and someone will return your call as soon as possible so that we can ask you a few questions over the phone.  After hearing from you and verifying your identity we will email the HelpDesk to let them know they can continue with steps to re-set Duo for you.


I am using a MacBook and need to remotely access the Student Admin system. I was told that it could be accessed without special permission; however, I don't seem to be able to access it. How would I go about obtaining this?

It must be a JMU issued computer/ laptop to have access without special permission; however, unfortunately MacBooks do not support direct access. You will need to contact the helpdesk to access remotely when using a MacBook. They will be able to help you with another option to connect remotely.


Phone: (540) 568-3555


In Person: 4th floor, Student Success Center

Online: IT Service Portal

How are JMU employee Employment Verifications processed?

All employment verification requests for JMU employees are referred to The Work Number (Equifax) at 1-800-367-5690.  The Company Code is 17737.  In the case of a discrepancy, the employment verification may be completed by the HR Assistant over the phone.  Please leave a message at 540-568-6165 and someone will return your call as soon as possible.

Back to Top