Congratulations on your new job!

Congratulations on your job offer! Now that you have a job, there are a number of things that you need to do before you are able to begin your employment. Below is an outline of what you will need to do before you can begin working.

Employment Authorization

Before starting any employment, you want to be sure you have authorization to be employed. For immigration purposes, employment can be paid or unpaid internships, paid or unpaid practicums, volunteer work, or a job, so be sure you have authorization to participate in any of these activities. Don't forget to read over the regulations on employment:

Complete the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9

This form verifies your eligibility to accept employment in the U.S. If you are working on-campus (except for Armark and the bookstore), Student Employment will assist in the completion of the I-9 form for all students in nonimmigrant status (i.e. F-1, J-1).  Note: If you are working off-campus, your employer will work with you to complete the I-9 Form.  

  • Complete the first portion of the I-9 form (for on-campus employment)
  • After completing the first portion, contact Student Employment to set-up a time to compete the second portion of the I-9 form.
    • You will be required to bring original documentation of your identity (i.e. passport) and immigration status (i.e. I-20 or DS-2019, I-94, and/or permanent resident card), along with the I-94 that you printed.
Complete paperwork for Payroll Services (for JMU employment only)
  • After completing the I-9 Form, you will receive a letter regarding a visit to Payroll Services. Contact Ms. Sherry Willis to schedule your appointment.
  • You will complete the W-4, VA-4, and see if there are any tax treaties with your country.
Apply for a Social Security Number

The SSN is a personal identification number issued by the U.S. government for tax purposes. The only way for an international student to acquire an SSN is through employment. 

Back to Top