JMU offers many career development resources. Whether you want to work in the U.S. after you graduate or if you are looking for part-time work opportunities while you study at JMU, the information on this webpage will assist you. 

On-Campus Employment

U.S. government regulations allow international students to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session, and up to 40 hours per week during breaks. On-campus employment options include any part-time positions sponsored by JMU that are not restricted for Federal Work Study and positions with campus dining (Aramark). You will likely need to create a U.S. style resume in order to complete the job application. You can search for on-campus jobs through the Student Employment Office

Please see On-Campus Employment for more information about employment on campus.

Off-Campus Employment

You can work off-campus while an international student if you are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and for at least 12 months after your graduation through Optional Practical Training (OPT). The job market in the U.S. is competitive. You can search for jobs and internships, prepare a U.S. resume, learn what to expect in a job interview, and understand how to effectively market your valuable international experiences to employers through the resources below: 

  • Handshake: Handshake is James Madison University’s online career services management system that provides JMU students access to internships, full-time jobs, career fairs, workshops, information sessions and more. 
  • GoinGlobal: GoinGlobal provides country-specific career and employment information, including worldwide internship and job postings, H1B VISA employer listings, corporate profiles, and more!
  • Career and Academic Planning (CAP): CAP (located in the Student Success Center) provides opportunities and support that engages students in the process of exploring, evaluating and choosing academic programs and careers.
  • International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS): The ISSS office will assist you in obtaining authorization to work within the U.S. 
  • Professors and Advisors: Most job applications requires a list of references, which are people who can attest to your knowledge and skills and provide a favorable review to an employer. Your professors and advisors may provide good references for you, as well as provide advice about career and graduate school opportunities. 
  • Your peers: Don't hesitate to ask your classmates, roommates, and friends for feedback about your resume and cover letter. Sometimes asking a third party to review your resume and cover letter can help you by figuring out whether your main points are clear. 

Please see Off-Campus Employment for more details on the specific regulations governing off-campus employment.

Back to Top