College Student Personnel Administration Training Program
Practicum and Assistantship
The Counseling Center College Student Personnel Administration (CSPA) master's level training program is designed to provide an opportunity for CSPA students to gain knowledge about the structure and function of a University counseling center as an integrative and integral part of the mission of the University.
The following learning objectives have been established for CSPA training by the CSPA Program:
- Ethical Practices
- Job Knowledge/Professional Development
- Management of Resources
- Team Building
- Interpersonal Relationships
Students who participate in a practicum or internship experience at the Counseling Center have the opportunity to achieve these objectives through their experiences in the following areas:
- psychoeducational outreach programming
- individual and group counseling
- consultation (in conjunction with a senior staff member)
- experience with organizational and system dynamics
- familiarity with the interrelatedness of counseling services to the larger University community.
CSPA students also may participate in the training of peer mentors and may co-facilitate groups. Students will also gain knowledge of various aspects of college administration.
- Service of 10-12 hours per week for practicum and 20 hours per week for assistantship
- Active participation in Center activities
- Timely completion of paperwork
- Adherence to Counseling Center policies and principles
- Adherence to ethical guidelines of the college personnel profession
CSPA students interested in a practicum or assistantship at the Counseling Center should contact the front desk at 540.568.6552.