The JMU campus contains a total of 472 acres, including 31 acres at the University Farm about nine miles from the campus. The main campus faces on Harrisonburg's Main Street and extends in an eastward direction past Interstate 81.
Buildings on the western portion of the campus "front campus" are constructed of blue limestone. Stone for the university's original buildings was taken from the campus itself.
The newer buildings on the eastern portion of the campus "back campus" are constructed of red brick. All these buildings have been constructed since the mid-1960s.
JMU is located in Harrisonburg, a progressive city of 30,000. Located in the heart of Virginia's historic Shenandoah Valley, the area is flanked by the Blue Ridge Mountains on the east and the Alleghenies on the west.
Harrisonburg is at the intersection of three major highways: Interstate 81, U.S. 33 and U.S. 11. The campus entrance is located just off Interstate 81 and is only a two-hour drive from Richmond, Roanoke and Washington, D.C.
Alumnae Hall, completed in 1922, was built largely through contributions of alumni and friends of the university. It houses offices relating to the Division of Student Affairs, including the Counseling and Student Development Center.
Anthony-Seeger Hall, completed in 1958, was named in honor of Katherine M. Anthony and Mary Louise Seeger, both former directors of the training school of the university. It contains offices, classrooms and laboratories for the School of Media Arts and Design and the School of Speech Communication; an auditorium that seats 228; WMRA, the central Shenandoah Valley's National Public Radio affiliate; and student radio station WXJM.
Ashby Hall, a residence hall completed in 1911, was named for Confederate General Turner Ashby, who was killed less than two miles east of JMU's campus.
Baker Hall was built for Bessie Stokes Spitzer Baker in 1925 and later sold to the university. It now houses the Center for Mediation.
Bell Hall, a residence hall completed in 1982, was named for Francis Bell Jr., former rector of the JMU Board of Visitors.
Bridgeforth Stadium has approximately 12,500 permanent seats and contains an artificially surfaced track and field. Built in 1975 and enlarged in 1981, it also contains racquetball courts and houses the military science department (Army ROTC). Originally named JMU Stadium, it was renamed in 1990 for William E. Bridgeforth, former member of the JMU Board of Visitors.
Burruss Hall, completed in 1953, was originally named Burruss Science Hall in honor of Julian A. Burruss, JMU's first president. Burruss underwent extensive renovation and an addition, completed in 1991. It houses classrooms, the affirmative action office, the mathematics department and the biology department.
Cardinal House, acquired by the university in 1986, houses the student assessment office.
Carrier Library, was built in 1940 and named Madison Memorial Library. In 1984, the library was renamed in honor of JMU's fourth president, Dr. Ronald E. Carrier, and his wife, Edith J. Carrier. A major addition to the library was completed in 1982, and a third floor was added in 1994.
Chandler Hall was named for Wallace L. Chandler of Richmond, a former rector of the JMU Board of Visitors. It was completed in 1974. Chandler is a residence hall and also has a conference center, dining facilities, alumni relations and offices.
Chappelear Hall, a residence hall completed in 1968, was named in honor of George W. Chappelear, a former professor and head of the biology department.
Cleveland Hall, a residence hall completed in 1936, was formerly called the Junior Hall, but was later named after Elizabeth P. Cleveland. Cleveland, a member of the original faculty in 1909, headed the areas of English language and literature.
The College of Integrated Science and Technology Building and Laboratories have housed, since January 1994, the offices of the provost, the faculty for both the integrated science and technology and computer science programs, as well as classroom and laboratory space.
Converse Hall was originally known as the Senior Hall. It was later renamed to honor former registrar, professor and mathematics department head, Henry A. Converse. Completed in 1935, this residence hall also houses a microcomputer laboratory.
Dingledine Hall, a residence hall completed in 1969, was named in honor of Agness Dingledine, former executive secretary of the Alumni Association.
Duke Hall houses the School of Art and Art History, classrooms, Latimer-Shaeffer Theatre and the Sawhill Gallery. It was named in honor of Dr. Samuel Page Duke, second president of the university. Duke Hall was completed in 1967.
Eagle Hall, a residence hall completed in 1970, was named after Alfred Eagle, former director of guidance, counseling and placement and a professor of education.
Eastover House, 1241 Paul St., was acquired in 1993 and houses the Office of Intercollegiate Athletics' marketing/promotions staff.
Frederikson Hall, a residence hall completed in 1967, was named after Dr. Otto F. Frederikson, a former professor of history.
Frye Building was named for former physical plant operations supervisor, Lucius C. Frye Sr. It was completed in 1962. It houses Information Technology's technology planning and technical services.
Garber Hall, a residence hall completed in 1969, was named in honor of Dorothy Garber, former dean of women.
Gibbons Hall, the campus dining hall, serves 1,700 persons in one sitting. Completed in 1964, it was named after Howard K. Gibbons, former business manager. It was the first red brick building constructed on campus.
Gifford Hall, a residence hall, was constructed in 1958 and named in honor of Walter J. Gifford, a former dean and department head in education.
Godwin Hall was authorized by the Virginia General Assembly when Mills E. Godwin Jr. was governor of Virginia. It was completed in 1972 and named for the governor and his wife, Katherine, a JMU graduate. Godwin Hall contains the Sinclair Gymnasium, the Savage Natatorium, the kinesiology department office, dance offices, intercollegiate athletics offices and classrooms.
Grafton-Stovall Theatre, completed in 1979, contains seats for 630. It was named in honor of Martha S. Grafton, a former member and vice rector of the board of visitors, and David H. Stovall, former member of the board of visitors.
Greek Row, for fraternity and sorority housing, is a series of attached units completed in 1978 and expanded in 1987.
The Greenhouse is adjacent to Burruss Hall. It is used to grow and supply plants for teaching purposes in biology and botany classes. It was completed in 1953.
Hanson Hall, a residence hall completed in 1968, was named in honor of Raus M. Hanson, former professor of geography.
Harrison Hall was originally built in 1915 as a student building. It was named after Gessner Harrison, a native of Harrisonburg who served as professor of Latin at the University of Virginia for 20 years. Harrison houses academic support labs, the Media Production Center, and the office of the provost of the College of Arts and Letters.
Harrison Hall Annex, completed in 1921, houses the departments of nursing and social work.
Hillcrest was completed in 1914 and used as the president's home until 1977. It now houses the Office of Employee Relations and Training, sponsored programs and Honors Program office.
Hillside Hall, a residence hall, was completed in 1987.
Hoffman Hall, a residence hall completed in 1964, was named in honor of Margaret Vance Hoffman, a member of the English department faculty for 43 years. The building also houses the annual giving office and development processing offices.
Huffman Hall, a residence hall completed in 1966, was named after Dr. Charles H. Huffman, former professor of English. The building also houses the Office of Residence Life.
Ikenberry Hall, a residence hall completed in 1972, was named after Dr. J. Emmert Ikenberry, former vice president for academic affairs, dean and mathematics department head, and his wife, Katherine, a former member of the English faculty.
Jackson Hall was the university's first residence and dining hall. It was built in 1909 and named after Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. It now houses the history department and classrooms.
JMU Arboretum, opened in 1987, is an outdoor living plant museum. The arboretum contains a wide variety of trees and plants native to Virginia. It is located on a 125-acre site near the JMU Convocation Center.
JMU Convocation Center, completed in 1982, is used for intercollegiate basketball games, concerts and large meetings. The building, seating 7,600, was the first to be constructed across Interstate 81 from the original campus.
Johnston Hall houses the department of psychology. Completed in 1929, it was named after James C. Johnston, former professor of chemistry and physics, and his wife, Althea Loose Johnston, former department head in physical education.
Keezell Hall was originally named Reed Hall after Walter Reed. Later the infirmary was named in Reed's honor and the building was renamed for Virginia State Sen. George B. Keezell, who was instrumental in having JMU located in Harrisonburg. It houses the foreign languages and literatures department, the English department and classrooms. It was built in 1927 and renovated in 1987 to add classrooms and offices in the original natatorium.
Lincoln House, built in 1910 and leased to JMU, was named after the E. E. Lincoln family, who last lived in the house. It contains the theater program's costume shop.
Logan Hall, a residence hall completed in 1951, was named after Conrad T. Logan, former head of the English department.
J. Ward Long Baseball Field, built in 1974, was named in honor of J. Ward Long, a former assistant professor of physical education who coached golf, basketball and cross-country teams.
Maintenance Center, completed in 1969, houses shop areas and a storeroom.
Mauck Stadium was named after J. Leonard Mauck, a former member of the JMU Board of Visitors. The baseball stadium, with 900 permanent seats, was completed in 1978.
Maury Hall, originally called the Science Hall, was the university's first academic and administrative building. It was completed in 1909 and named in honor of Virginia scientist and oceanographer Matthew Fontaine Maury. It houses the political science department and the office of the dean of the College of Education and Psychology.
McGraw-Long Hall, a residence hall completed in 1984, was named for Walter J. McGraw, former rector of the board of visitors, and Nellie L. Long, an alumna and former member of the board of visitors.
Miller Hall, completed in 1975, was named after JMU's third president, G. Tyler Miller. It houses computing support; the departments of chemistry, geology and physics; the Center for Geographic Information Science; Wells Planetarium; classrooms; laboratories; and the Wilbur T. Harnsberger Auditorium.
Moody Hall, completed in 1961, contains facilities for the health sciences department, classrooms and Blackwell Auditorium. It was named in honor of Pearl P. Moody, former home economics department head.
The Music Building was completed in 1989 and houses classrooms, faculty offices, a music library, a listening laboratory and studios for the School of Music.
Newman Lake was named after the Henry D. Newman family. The Newman farm, which consisted of 235 acres and several buildings, was purchased in 1952 by the university.
Nicholas House, completed in 1909, was first used as a sorority house and now houses the publications office. The house was named after the Dr. C. E. Nicholas family, who last lived in the house.
Oakview, the home of JMU's president, is located in the Forest Hills section of Harrisonburg near the JMU campus. The home was presented to the university as a gift from the JMU Foundation Inc.
Paul Street House, located at Paul Street and Duke's Drive, houses the Office of Continuing Education and External Programs and the Office of International Education. JMU purchased the property in 1989.
Phillips Hall is a meeting and conference center which opened in 1985. The building, named for Col. Adolph H. Phillips, former vice president for business affairs, also contains a food service facility.
Power Plant, completed in 1940, provides steam heating for the front campus.
Roop Hall, completed in 1980, is named for Inez Graybeal Roop, an alumna and former JMU Alumni Association president and board of visitors member. It houses the School of Education, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Educational Media Laboratory, the clinical components of the College of Education and Psychology and classrooms.
Sheldon Hall was completed in 1923. It was named after Edward A. Sheldon, a 19th-century leader in the normal school movement who also founded the Oswego training school in New York. Sheldon Hall houses the office of the dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, Department of Philosophy and Religion, and Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
Shenandoah Hall was privately built in 1922 and leased to the university for use as a residence hall. JMU later acquired the building which now houses the Office of Public Safety.
Shorts Hall, a residence hall completed in 1968, was named in honor of Clyde P. Shorts, former professor of education.
Zane Showker Hall, completed in 1991, houses classrooms and faculty and administrative offices for the College of Business. The building is named for Zane D. Showker, a Harrisonburg businessman, civic leader, member of the JMU Board of Visitors and longtime friend of JMU.
Smith House and Smith House Annex, on Patterson Street, house faculty and staff offices.
Sonner Hall, completed in 1990, houses the Office of Admissions, Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships and Office of Career Services. The building is named for Dr. Ray V. Sonner, former senior vice president and vice president for university relations.
Spotswood Hall, a residence hall completed in 1917, was named in honor of Alexander Spotswood, a Colonial governor who led the first English expedition into the Shenandoah Valley.
Steele House, completed in 1921, was named after the Edgar Steele family, who last occupied the house.
Taylor Hall, named for former JMU Board of Visitors Rector Dr. James H. Taylor Jr., was completed in 1993. The building, part of the James Madison University Center, houses student clubs and organizations, meeting rooms, lounges, recreational facilities and student services such as leadership, service-learning and off-campus living.
Theatre II, completed in 1922, was formerly occupied by Wampler Foods Inc. JMU began using the building in 1974. It houses the Experimental Theatre, theater offices and classrooms. The university's buildings and grounds department also uses a portion of the building.
The University Farm, comprising 31 acres located nine miles south of campus, was obtained by the university in 1929. The property, which includes a pavilion, is used for recreational and organizational meetings.
University Health Center, completed in 1959, houses modern medical facilities and is fully staffed by physicians and nurses. Originally the center was named after Walter Reed, known for his research on typhoid and yellow fevers.
Varner House was originally a home economics practice house and called the Home Management House. Later it was named in honor of Bernice R. Varner, former dean of women. It was completed in 1929 and houses the general education and media relations offices.
Wampler Hall, a residence hall named for Charles W. Wampler Jr., a former rector of the JMU Board of Visitors, was completed in 1994.
Warren Hall was named in honor of former dean of the college, Percy H. Warren. Completed in 1971 as a center for student activities on campus, it contains a bookstore, cafeteria, post office, recreational rooms and meeting rooms.
Warren House, at 17 Grace St., houses the Life Science Museum.
Warsaw House, on Warsaw Avenue, houses offices of the university's engineering department.
Wayland Hall, a residence hall completed in 1958, was named after John W. Wayland, a member of the first faculty and former department head in history and social science.
Weaver Hall, a residence hall completed in 1971, was named after Russell M. Weaver, former rector of the JMU Board of Visitors.
Wellington Hall was privately funded by Dr. E. R. Miller, a Harrisonburg physician, in honor of his daughter. It was completed in 1924 and first used as a dormitory for 68 students. It currently houses various staff offices.
White Hall, a residence hall completed in 1973, was named in honor of Helen Mugler White, former vice rector of the JMU Board of Visitors.
Wilson Hall, completed in 1931, was named after President Woodrow Wilson. It houses the president's office, major administrative offices, the Graduate School and an auditorium with seating for 1,372.
Wine-Price Hall was originally built for the school of nursing at Rockingham Memorial Hospital. It was completed in 1959 and named after Edgar C. Wine, former president of the board of trustees of Rockingham Memorial Hospital, and C. Grattan Price Sr., former secretary of the board of trustees of the hospital. It houses the Young Children's Program.
Wise Hall, a former motel, is a residence facility located on South Main Street 11/2 blocks north of the main campus. It houses staff offices.
Zirkle House, completed in 1920, was acquired from the Lewis A. Zirkle family and houses art studios and the Artworks Gallery, New Image Gallery and The Other Gallery.
Introduction and General Information Directory
Undergraduate Catalog Contents