Library Science and Educational Media
School of Education
- LSEM 101. Resources for College Studies. 2 credits.
- Designed to acquaint students with college library resources and to offer guided experiences in their use in the research process.
- LSEM 150. Information in Contemporary Society. 3 credits.
- Concerns the individual's need for information, especially that which will assist in solving problems related to everyday needs and interests, and with the agencies and resources which can help to meet those needs. (Will not count as social science course for teacher licensure.)
- LSEM 201. Business Information Sources. 3 credits.
- Designed for business students. Includes library books, reference materials, periodicals, governmental publications, legal resources and on-line computerized data banks. Guided experiences in the use of these resources in the research process. (No credit if previous credit earned in LSEM 101 and/or LSEM 375K.)
- LSEM 240. Children's Literature. 3 credits.
- The study of a variety of children's literature and the practices, principles, and procedures for selecting and evaluating works for children, giving consideration to their motivational and developmental effects. Prerequisite: ENG 101-102.
- LSEM 254. Literature for Adolescents. 3 credits.
- A study of literature which has been written for or appeals to young adults and adolescents, including practices, principles and procedures for evaluating and making literary materials appealing to adolescents. Prerequisite: ENG 101-102.
- LSEM 332. Single Camera TV Operation. 1 credit.
- A basic understanding of the principles of videotape equipment along with skills in the utilization, set up and operation of one-half inch portable video cassette systems.
- LSEM 333. Single Camera TV Production. 1 credit.
- Planning and production of a short instructional video program using one-half inch portable video recording equipment. Prerequisite: LSEM 332 or permission of instructor.
- LSEM 336. Photography in Education. 1 credit.
- An introduction to the use and operation of 35mm SLR cameras. Note: All needed equipment will be supplied.
- LSEM 339. Production of Instructional Materials. 1 credit.
- Creating instructional materials for the overhead and 35mm slide projectors as well as for video and computer presentations. Principles of creating visual instructional messages and techniques for producing various projected and non-projected materials.
- LSEM 375. Selected Topics in Media. 1-2 credits.
- An in-depth study of a narrowly defined topic or practice in media. May be repeated for credit when course content changes.
- LSEM 490. Special Studies in School Librarianship. 1-3 credits each semester.
- Independent study of a specific topic in school librarianship. Prerequisite: Permission of the program coordinator.
Continue Course Descriptions:
Course Descriptions Directory
Undergraduate Catalog Contents
1996-97 Undergraduate Catalog
Last reviewed: 30 November 1996
Information Publisher: Division of Academic Affairs
James Madison University