Upcoming Events at the Arboretum
Join Tai Chi instructor Grayson Pritchard, of Blue Heron Healing Arts, for community Tai Chi at the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum each Friday at 12:30 p.m. this fall. Classes begin Oct 6th and run through Nov 17th (6 weeks).
Cost is $12 each session. A portion of the proceeds help support Harrisonburg’s favorite place for restoration recreation... the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum.Advanced registration is recommended as class sizes are limited. Click here to register online.
Meet on the lawn by the pond. In case of inclement weather, meet under the pavilion just east of the pond. Rain or Shine! For more information please call 540-999-8823.
Tai Chi on the Arboretum Lawn with Instructor Grayson Pritchard, of Blue Heron Healing Arts
Friday, November 17, 12:30 pm—1:30 pm
Festive Greens: A Seasonal Workshop
$35 per person
Wednesday, December 6,
Noon—1:30 pm at the Frances Plecker Education Center
Create your own personalized, seasonal, fragrant evergreen holiday wreath with a modern twist in this annual arboretum workshop. Under the guidance of local floral expert Abby Chick, Chapel designer and owner of Blakemore's Flowers, participants will create and take home a rustic chic wreath with scented blue pine and fresh blue-green eucalyptus. Choose from an array of ribbons and decorative accents to suit your individual style.
The $35 registration fee includes all supplies.
Space is limited, so register now! Call 540-568-3194 for more information.
Reservations are highly recommended as this event is often sold out in advance. Call 540-568-3194 during business hours Mon-Fri 8:00-4:00 to reserve your ride. Individual tickets in a shared carriage are $18 for adults and $12 for children. Private carriage rides are $75 for a group. Carriages depart from the Frances Plecker Education Center every 20 minutes.
Please note the following:
- Private carriages that seat up to four adults are $75. The private carriage rate will be sold to all group sizes of four adults. Group sizes of four always buy the $75 carriage.
- Only group sizes of three, two, or one person can buy by the seat. The per person ticket price is $18 adults, and $12 for kids ten years of age and younger. Infants that ride on an adult lap who are under two years of age are free.
- The maximum group size per carriage is four for adult riders. Adult riders are anyone eleven years of age or older.
- The maximum group size per carriage for families is five people IF children are ten years old or younger. For children eleven years and older, adult per person policy stands enforce.
- Paid reservations are made by phone using any major credit card, or walk-in weekdays, business hours, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, at the Frances Plecker Education Center with cash or check.
- Walk-up rides days of events might be available but are not guaranteed.
- Please arrive at the Frances Plecker Ed Center 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled ride time. Rides leave on an exact 20 minute schedule. There is no guarantee that late arrivals can or will be re-seated on a later ride, and a late arriving party's ride may be forfeit.
- Each carriage ride is approximately one mile in length and completes a circuit through the arboretum forest on a graveled, unlit route.
- Moderate inclement weather: carriage roofs go up! Dress for weather forecast! Extreme inclement weather: postponement may be posted on arboretum website, day of. In inclement weather, check the website for an announcement on the day of, www.jmu.edu/arboretum. If no cancellation posts on website by 10:00 am day of, rides proceed.
- Tickets are transferable! Credit, cash, check carriage ride ticket purchases are non-refundable. Rides support the EJC Arboretum.
- A negotiable minimum $15 additional charge for private carriages only that are requested after the close of the event's scheduled rides may be negotiated at carriage driver's discretion. (No individual seat rides are sold after close of event schedule.)
Holiday Carriage Rides
Sunday, December 10, 1:00 pm—4:00 pm
Participate in this month's Photo of the Month Contest! Click here for contest rules and entry information.
Interested in seeing more of what's coming up next? Please check our Annual Calendar of Events.
Promotional photographs are taken by staff of arboretum events.
Written requests to the Web manager to remove a photograph will be honored.