Feature Image

Supportive measures are designed to restore or preserve equal access to the education program or activity without unreasonably burdening the other party, including measures designed to protect the safety of all parties or the university's educational environment. Below is a non-exhaustive list of supportive measures available through the Title IX Office. Requests for supportive measures can be made to the Title IX Office.

Academic Assistance

The Title IX Office can begin a conversation with instructors regarding the consideration of absences or leave requests, deadline extensions for assignments, and other course-related adjustments. The availablility and types of assistance may depend on what the instructor deems appropriate. 

We do not contact professors unless we are given written permission from a student who is working with our office or another resource on campus. We do not share with instructors information regarding why a student is working with our office or another resource on campus. 

Two-Way No Contact Orders

Students working with Title IX or other resources on campus may be able to receive a Two-Way No Contact Order if both parties are current members of the JMU community.

These mutual no contact orders state that both parties are prohibited from communitcating with each other for a period of six months. This includes but is not limited to methods of communications that may be direct, through a third-party, or electronic. Requests for more information regarding Two-Way No Contact Orders can be made to the Title IX Office.

Other Title IX Supportive Measures

Other supportive measures may include, but are not limited to: modification of work or class schedules, assistance with academic petitions, change in housing locations, and refferals to campus and community resources for advocacy, counseling, disability services, financial aid services, and health services. 

The Title IX Office can refer students to our campus partners, including Victim Advocacy, the Counseling Center, the Health Center, the Dean of Students Office, the Office of Equal Opportunity, and other resource offices. For employees, we may refer individuals to Human Resources to learn about resources available through individual benefits package. We may also refer faculty to the faculty Ombudsperson. The Title IX Office can refer or connect anyone to law enforcement. 

Back to Top