Approved Minutes for this Meeting (MS Word Format)
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, June 15, 2007, in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center.
• Heard reports from the Athletic, Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development Committees.
• Re-elected officers: Rector, Joseph Damico; Vice Rector, Meredith Gunter; and Secretary, Donna Harper.
• Approved real estate purchases.
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that JMU students continue to visit the Gulf Coast providing assistance to individuals impacted by Hurricane Katrina;
- that the JMU Wind Symphony recently performed at the Kennedy Center under the direction of Dr. J. Patrick Rooney;
- that nearly 3,500 students graduated on May 5, 2007. Ambassador Gaddi H. Vasquez, the eighth United States Representative to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organizations and former director of the United States Peace Corps, was the commencement speaker. The 100,000th degree was conferred;
- that James Madison University's Institute for Infrastructure and Information Assurance and the National Academy of Sciences' Federal Facilities Council co-sponsored the forum, "Cascading Infrastructure Failures: Avoidance and Response;"
- that a Bachelor of Science degree program in Information Analysis has been approved for the fall of 2007;
- that the President's Office has announced four staffing changes;
- that JMU archery won the National Archery Championship;
- that JMU baseball players Kellen Kulbacki and Davis Stoneburner were recently drafted into MLB;
- that JMU lacrosse player Kelly Berger has been named to the 2007 Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association Lacrosse All-America Team;
- that JMU first baseman Jenn Chavez was named Colonial Athletic Association Co-Player of the Year.