Approved Minutes for this Meeting (MS Word Format)
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, March 30, 2007, in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center.
• Heard committee reports from Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development.
• Heard a report on "Issues In Education: Implications and Response" from Dr. Phillip Wishon, Dean, College of Education.
• Heard a Capital Outlay and General Assembly update from Mr. Charles King.
• Approved changes for 2007-2008 Tuition and Fees.
• Approved six-year capital plan.
• Approved real estate purchases.
• Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that a Presidential Commission on Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability has been created. This is a Madison Initiative to ensure that meeting our needs today will not adversely affect the availability of resources for generations tomorrow;
- that JMU received over 21,000 applications for next academic year;
- that the Master of Arts degree in Political Science was approved by SCHEV;
- that Women's Basketball Coach, Kenny Brooks, was named CAA Coach of the Year;
- that Women's Basketball senior, Meredith Alexis, was named CAA Player of the Year and Virginia Player of the Year;
- that Dr. Daniel Wubah, Special Assistant to the President, has accepted an Associate Provost position at the University of Florida;
- that JMU adopted ethanol blended fuel in all gasoline powered vehicles;
- that Madison Magazine, "Be the Change" and the Centennial Celebration all won national awards;
- that JMU ranks 14th nationally among large schools for Peace Corps volunteers;
- that more than 300 JMU students were involved in this year's Alternative Spring Break