The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, January 12, 2007, in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
· Heard committee reports from Athletics, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development.
· Heard a report on the JMU/SRI partnership from Dr. Len Polizzotto, SRI Vice President for Business Development and Marketing.
· Heard a report on the Governor's 2007-08 Budget from Mr. Charles King.
· Approved changes for Summer Session 2007 Tuition and Fees.
· Approved Financial Budget Amendments for total operating and total capital for FY2008.
· Heard remarks from Jenn Chapman on the Board's September 2006 decision to eliminate 10 varsity sports to comply with federal law.
· Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that Kiplinger's ranked James Madison University as the 21st best value in a public college in the country;
- that a Bachelor of Science in Engineering was approved by SCHEV;
- that Dr. Joann Grayson was chosen as the 2006 Virginia Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE);
- that JMU Football finished the season 9-2 and participated in the NCAA playoffs against Youngstown State;
- that JMU Volleyball's Coach Disa Garner was the CAA and Virginia State Coach of the Year. Volleyball finished 19-9;
- that the Marching Royal Dukes performed in Dublin, Ireland December 27 - January 4;
- that five JMU undergraduate students won the jury prize for a short film entered in the inaugural Insomnia Film Festival sponsored by Apple Computers, Inc.