The James Madison University Board of Visitors met at 1 p.m. on Friday, June 2, 2000, in Taylor Hall 306. Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and of key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
- Elected Zane D. Showker as Rector of the Board for 2000-2001. Mr. Showker succeeds Henry H. Harrell as Rector. Mr. Harrell served two years as Rector and was ineligible for reappointment. Paul J. Chiapparone, a former Rector of the Board, was elected Vice Rector for 2000-2001.
- Heard a report from JMU President Linwood H. Rose summarizing the following: appointment of Dr. Douglas Brown as Vice President for Academic Affairs; national championship won by JMU in men's and mixed team archery; relocation of academic programs from Anthony-Seeger Hall; JMU named one of nation's Top 50 "Most Wired" universities by Yahoo! Internet Lifemagazine; more than 2,800 graduated at May Commencement; update on construction on campus; status of athletic conference for JMU
- Heard a report on the budget development process and the 2000-2001 budget from Charles W. King Jr., Vice President for Administration and Finance.
- Approved a $211.2 million operating budget for 2000-2001, a 6.8 percent increase over the 1999-2000 budget. The budget is divided into the following areas: $116.6 million for educational and general programs; $78.1 million for auxiliary enterprise programs; $4.1 million for financial aid; and $12.4 million for sponsored programs.
- Authorized the purchase of a house at 153 Patterson Street for $200,000. The seven-room, two-story house sits on a lot of approximately one-quarter acre. The building will be used initially for office space, with the possibility of the lot eventually being used for a parking area. The Board also discussed the possible purchase of additional land near campus in the future.
- Directed the Board's Executive Committee to develop an employment agreement with President Rose, with the Rector authorized to execute the agreement.