The James Madison University
Board of Visitors met Friday, June 24, 2005, in the Board Room of
Madison's College Center. Following is a summary of actions taken
by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
· Approved a $296.2 million operating budget for
2005-06. The new budget represents a 10.2 percent -- or $27.3
million -- increase over the 2004-05 budget of $268.9 million. The
largest portion of the budget, $158 million, will go for
educational and general programs -- those directly or indirectly
involving academic programs. Another $99 million will go toward
auxiliary enterprises -- self-supported functions that provide a
variety of services for students.
· Approved the naming of the new College of Visual and Performing Arts, which will be comprised of the School of Art and Art History, the School of Music, the School of Theatre and Dance and the Madison Art Collection.
· Heard a report from Lt. Col. Dominic Swayne,
department head, on the JMU ROTC Duke Battalion.
· Passed a resolution for the Higher Education Financial
and Administration Operations Act that commits James Madison
University to meeting the goals of the Higher Education
Restructuring Act to allow the university to exercise restructured
financial and operational authority.
· Passed a resolution directing the university to pursue acquisition of properties vital to the development of the university's center for the performing arts.
· Was told by President Linwood H. Rose: