Board of Visitors Meeting, January 6, 2006
Summary of Actions/Discussions
Approved Minutes for this Meeting (MS Word Format)
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, January 6, 2006, in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center. Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
• Heard a report from Fred Hilton, director of the University Centennial Office, on the university's planning efforts for its yearlong Centennial Celebration culminating on March 14, 2008, the 100th anniversary of the university's founding.
• Approved an increase in Summer Session Tuition and Fees. After the increase, JMU ranks 13th out of 15 Virginia public colleges and universities.
New Summer Session Tuition and E&G Fees (per credit hour):
- VA Undergraduate $144
- Non-VA Undergraduate $488
- VA Graduate $235
- Non-VA Graduate $690
Distance Learning Courses increases included (per credit hour):
- VA Undergraduate $184
- Non-VA Undergraduate $528
- VA Graduate $255
- Non-VA Graduate $710
• Heard a report from Charles King, senior vice president of Administration and Finance, on the Governor's 2006-2008 Budget, which must now be approved by the General Assembly in its 2006 session.
• Approved proposed amendments to the Governor's 2006-2008 Budget, which now must be approved by the General Assembly in its 2006 session.
• Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that last year's James Madison University's Relay for Life event finished as the #1 college in the nation for dollars raised per student;
- that the Marching Royal Dukes will participate in the governor's Inaugural Parade in Williamsburg, January 14, 2206;
- and about numerous faculty and student accomplishments.