The James Madison University Board of Visitors
met Friday, September 26, 2008, in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
• New officers were nominated and then elected by the Board;
• Approved May 2, 2008 and June 4-6, 2008 BOV meeting minutes;
• Heard and approved committee reports from Athletics, Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development;
• Heard a presentation on “University Recreation (UREC) – A Model of Student Learning,” presented by Mr. Eric Nickel, UREC Director;
• Heard a presentation on “Policies for Awarding Degrees,” presented by Dr. Teresa Gonzalez, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Ms. Michele White, University Registrar;
• Heard a presentation on the 2009-2010 budget reduction plans, presented by Mr. Charles King, Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance;
• Approved 2009-2010 budget requests.
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that U.S. News & World Report ranks three JMU Graduate Programs;
- that JMU students place in Top 10 in Worldwide Online Marketing Competition;
- that JMU still tops among public universities in the South (U.S. News & World Report);
- that the last beam of the new Theater and Dance Facility was placed;
- that JMU received $1.5 million to promote STEM education;
- that JMU announces the formation of the Institute for Stewardship of the Natural World.