Board of Visitors, April 13, 2009
Approved Minutes for this Meeting (MS Word Format)
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Monday, April 13, 2009, in the Board Room of Madison’s Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
- Approved January 9, 2009 BOV meeting minutes;
- Heard and approved committee reports from Athletics, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development;
- Heard a presentation about the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum and Botanical Gardens presented by Ms. Jan Mahone;
- Received a capital outlay update presented by Mr. Charles King, Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance;
- Received a General Assembly update presented by Mr. Charles King, Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance;
- Approved 2009-2010 tuition and fees.
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that Dr. Joann Grayson, professor of psychology, named a 2009 Virginia Woman in History;
- that Mr. Rich Harris recognized: Campus and Community Engagement Leadership Award;
- that Mr. Philip Bigler authored a book on James Madison Liberty and Learning;
- that President Emeritus Hunter Rawlings, Cornell University, spoke on James Madison Day;
- that two JMU alums were present with President Obama at the White House Energy Forum;
- that JMU was named a Top-50 “Best Value” public college in the U.S. by the Princeton Review;
- that JMU’s College of Business remains in the top 5 percent in the Business Week ranking;
- that JMU’s College of Business ranked third among public colleges and universities for return on investment;
- that JMU’s College of Business grads rank 11th for first-time pass rate on the national CPA exam;
- that JMU received SCHEV certification;
- that JMU formed a strategic alliance with the City of Florence, Italy;
- that JMU received a record number of applications for the 2009-2010 academic year.