The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, April 2, 2010, in the Board Room of Madison’s Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
Approved the January 8, 2010 BOV meeting minutes;
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that two JMU professors earned the SCHEV ‘Outstanding Faculty Award’: Dr. Lennis Echterling and Dr. Peter Pham;
- that Dr. David Brakke, Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, has been elected to the rank of AAAS fellow(Advancing Science Service Society);
- that the Phi Beta Kappa installation was held on March 17, 2010;
- that SACS approved the 5-Year Interim Report;
- that JMU was named a U.S. Top 50 Best Value Public University by Princeton Review;
- that the College of Business ranked 14th among public universities by Business Week;
- that JMU has been named to the 2009 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service;
- that 39 teams consisting of approximately 400 students and staff volunteered during Spring Break;
- that JMU’s women’s basketball team won the CAA championship;
- that Veteran’s Memorial softball and baseball park opened;
- that Provost Dr. Douglas Brown is retiring.