Board of Visitors, January 9, 2009
Approved Minutes for this Meeting (MS Word Format)
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, January 9, 2009 in the Board Room of Madison's Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
• Approved September 26, 2008 BOV meeting minutes;
• Heard and approved committee reports from Athletics, Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical
• Heard a presentation on the Engineering Program presented by Dr. Ronald Kander;
• Approved the University’s Master Plan.
o the Master Plan is required by the State and SACS;
o the Master Plan is conceptual and is subject to change based on a number of factors, which could include appropriate
funding and enrollment numbers among other factors;
o the University’s Master Plan is a long-term plan and does not serve as a capital construction plan;
o future capital construction plans will be based on the concepts outlined in the Master Plan;
• Approved tuition and fees for the Summer of 2009
o In-state, undergraduate $223
o Out-of-state undergraduate $666
o In-state graduate $308
o Out-of-state graduate $885
• Heard a presentation on the Governor’s 2009-2010 budget, presented by Mr. Charles King, Senior Vice President for
Administration and Finance;
• Approved 2009-2010 budget amendments.
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that JMU’s Information Systems Program is among the nation’s best;
- that Surgeon General Gallson recognized JMU’s commitment to a healthy future;
- that JMU’s Marching Royal Dukes performed in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade;
- that the Indian Ambassador unveiled Gandhi statue gift;
- that President-Elect Obama and former Congressman Delay visited the campus;
- that Women’s Soccer advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16;
- that Women’s Field Hockey won the CAA;
- that JMU Football won the CAA and advanced to the FCS semifinals;
- that Coach Mickey Matthews was awarded National Coach of the Year.