The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, January 8, 2010, in the Board Room of Madison’s Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
- that JMU is now one of the newest members of Phi Beta Kappa, which now has 280 chapters nationwide;
- that the “Madison for Keeps” Fund raised $365,320 through 3,176 gifts which supported 76 students;
- that JMU is ranked 21st on Kiplinger’s Personal Finance’s list of the 100 Best Values for Public Colleges in 2010;
- that the Cooper Center Economic Impact Study determined that every public dollar spent on higher education produces $1.39 in increased tax revenues and $13.31 in economic activity;
- that the Veteran’s Memorial Dedication took place on November 8, 2009;
- that JMU’s International Study ranked 2nd in the country for mid-term programs, 3rd for short-term programs, and 16th for long-term programs;
- that Arthur Moats won the Buchanan award as the top defensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision and was named a first team All-American.