Concentrations: Converged Media, Creative Advertising, Digital Video and Cinema, Journalism
Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
- VCCS equivalents:
- RBC equivalents:
- NOTE: There are no course equivalents offered by the VCCS or RBC.
1. There are no VCCS or RBC equivalents for major courses.
2. Media Arts and Design (SMAD) has a limited number of seats and admission is competitive. In order to apply, students must complete all admission requirements, including a 500 word essay and a competency test. In addition, students must either be enrolled in or have completed at least 12 credits at JMU, including SMAD 101 (offered only at JMU). Beyond 101, all major courses are restricted to students who have been admitted into the major. New transfer students may apply to the major in the fall if they have 30 or more JMU-approved transfer credits. If less than 30, they may apply to the major in the spring semester. Specific information on the application process can be found here.
3. Admission to the major is not guaranteed. Students transferring in with a completed associate's degree should identify an alternative major and/or a minor in order to have a full course load in the fall and spring semesters.
4. Students pursuing a BA degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.
For more information:
School of Media Arts and Design
Career Guide to JMU Majors: Media Arts and Design