Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)
|JMU Course||VCCS Course||RBC Course||Notes|
|COB 191 or MATH 220||BUS 220 or BUS 221 or BUS 216 or BUS 224 or MTH 146 or MTH 157 or MTH 240 or MTH 241||MATH 217|
|COB 202||BUS 270||No equivalent||Only offered at BRCC|
|COB 204||See advising note #4||CSCI 202|
|COB 218||BUS 241||No equivalent||Only transfers from BRCC, DSLCC, LFCC, NVCC, PVCC & TCC|
|COB 241, 242||ACC 211, 212||BUS 201, 202||See advising note #2|
|ECON 200, 201||ECO 201, 202||ECON 201, 202|
|MATH 205 or 235||MTH 173 or MTH 175 or MTH 213 or MTH 270 or MTH 271 or MTH 273||MATH 201 or 207|
|COB 291||BUS 227||No equivalent. See advising note #6.||Only offered at BRCC and PVCC. Students studying at other community colleges should see advising note #6.|
Advising NotesPlease Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.
Differential tuition for College of Business majors/minors to take effect Fall 2014. Students will be charged an additional $50 per credit for all COB courses (with the exception of ECON 200). Click here for more information.
1. Students who achieve a 2.7 GPA in the 10 B.B.A. core courses (listed above), with the exception of calculus, will be assured admission to the College of Business and COB 300. Only grades for courses taken at JMU will be used in the GPA calculation. Students who fail to achieve a 2.7 B.B.A. core GPA will be admitted to the College of Business and COB 300 based on B.B.A. core GPA ranking, and pending resources and space availability.
2. Additionally, students must earn at least a B in both COB 241 and 242 (grades for courses taken at community college will count), and a C- or better in all upper-level prerequisite ACTG courses in order to progress in the major. It is highly recommended that students wishing to major in Accounting complete COB 241 and 242 at JMU.
3. Lord Fairfax CC students: You should take BUS 241 as an elective in your program – it is required as part of JMU's BBA core.
4. Transfer credit for COB 204:
Northern Virginia CC and Southside CC: ITE 100
New River CC: CSC 110
Blue Ridge CC, Lord Fairfax CC and Piedmont VA CC: ITE 120
5. Students transferring with a transferable associate's degree and who have completed the majority of courses listed above should strongly consider transferring in the summer and completing the remaining core courses. They will then be eligible to apply to the major and begin the upper-level coursework in the fall.
6. The prerequisites for COB 291, Management Science, are calculus and statistics. In addition, a solid background in Excel will help students be successful in this course.
New Policy for Blue Ridge Community College Students:
BRCC students who meet the following criteria will be automatically admitted to the College of Business and allowed to enroll in COB 300 and junior level courses. Note: Students must first be admitted to the university through the normal admissions process.
1. Completion (at BRCC) of BUS 221, BUS 270, ITE 120, BUS 241, ACC 211-212, MTH 270, ECO 201-202 and BUS 227 with a grade of B- or higher.
2. Cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher.
3. Completion of at least 60 credits (junior standing).
4. Fulfillment of all JMU General Education requirements (in most cases, AA&S degree completers).
This policy is effective immediately and applies to any BRCC transfer student entering JMU in Summer 2010 or later.
For more information:
JMU Major Guides for Virginia Community College Students