Scholarships for Theatre, Musical Theatre, and Dance Students
The following is a general guide to scholarship programs specific to JMU Theatre and Dance. Prospective students who audition for the JMU Theatre, Musical Theatre, and Dance concentrations are offered scholarships in the Spring. Continuing students make application early in the spring semester for the following academic year.
For information on more general financial aid and scholarship information, try the following two resources:
Scholarships for Incoming Freshman Applicants
- Excellence in the Arts Scholarships include:
- Full tuition one-year awards (in-state tuition, valued at approximately $10,000) and/or half in-state tuition four-year awards (approximately $5000 per year)
- Book awards (valued at up to $1200 per year)
- Two-year On-Campus Housing Awards (valued at approximately $4700 per year)
- Wayland Guarantee Awards – guaranteed acceptance into the Arts Learning Community in the recently-renovated Wayland Hall:
Criteria and Procedures
Criteria for determining scholarship recipients include the following:
1. Talent and Ability, based on audition, portfolio review, and interview
2. Academic promise, based on high-school transcript, GPA (minimum equivalent of 3.0 in a 4-point scale), and standardized test scores
4. Application Essay (A program-admission essay also serves scholarship application purposes.)
5. Letter of recommendation (A program-admission recommendation also serves scholarship application purposes.)
Audition Dates and Information
Scholarships for Continuing Dance Students
PARTIAL TUITION SCHOLARSHIPS
These scholarships are based on a dance concentrator's academic and artistic achievement within the program, as well as positive contributions to dance program activities both on and off campus. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
Scholarship amounts vary each year and must be applied to JMU tuition payment.
PARTIAL SUMMER STUDY TUITION GRANTS
These scholarships are based on a dance concentrator's academic and artistic achievement within the program, as well as positive contributions to dance program activities both on and off campus. A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required.
Scholarship amounts vary each year and must be used towards tuition to a specific summer dance study program.
Scholarships for Continuing Theatre and Musical Theatre Students
THE HORACE BURR SCHOLARSHIP
THE STRATFORD PLAYERS SCHOLARSHIP
THE MARY LATIMER CORDNER SCHOLARSHIP
THE STEVEN SNYDER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
THE TOM KING SCHOLARSHIP
THE TOM ARTHUR THEATRE SCHOLARSHIP
Other Awards Which Require Nomination and May Include Graduating Seniors
THE STEVEN SNYDER CREATIVE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
PHILLIP S. GRAYSON AWARD FOR ACHIEVEMENT IN TECHNICAL THEATRE
Accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Dance