Financial Aid and Scholarships for Transfer Students
Financial aid priority is given to students who...
Our unique home in the Shenandoah Valley
Mountains, farmland, the wide sky full of stars...
Financial Aid, Scholarships and Student Employment
Information on financial aid and scholarships...
Graduate applications requirements and deadlines vary according to the department. Prospective graduate students should check the departmental website for specific departmental requirements and deadlines. The Graduate School has a rolling admissions policy for most programs. We recommend submitting your completed application by May 1st for the fall semester, October 1st for the spring semester and April 1st for the summer session. Please visit the Graduate School's Web site for more information and specific application instructions.
- Application, submitted electronically.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university OR a credential evaluation if you graduated from an institution outside the U.S.
- Satisfactory grade point average.
- Satisfactory test scores depending on the program, such as :
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination). Scores should be at a minimum at the 25th percentile.
- MAT (Miller Analogy Test)
- GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) Recommend score of at least 500.
- Proof of English language proficiency through a satisfactory score on the TOEFL (examples of acceptable scores include 570 on the paper-based version and 230 on the computer-based version) or completion of the on-campus Pre-Master's program.
- Financial declaration form. Students should have all funds necessary for expenses during the entire period of the student's stay without resorting to employment while in the U.S. A general rule of thumb is to have twice the cost of tuition for a full-time student (18 hours annually).
- Official transcripts sent directly to JMU from institution granting the baccalaureate degree. A credential evaluation (Educational Perspectives, World Education Services, Inc. or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., for example) must also be submitted to ensure that it is comparable to an American baccalaureate degree.
- $55 application fee.
- Any other requirements specific to the department/degree. Applicants must check with the specific academic area to which you are applying to determine specific requirements, deadlines and test score averages.
Need to improve your English first?We offer a Pre-Master’s program leading to four degrees in Computer Science and Education for graduate students who need to improve their English language prior to degree entry.
International Student Support Services
The Office of International Programs offers programs and services designed to support the unique needs of international students. Information on immigration and visa services is also on this site.