Financial Aid and Scholarships for Transfer Students

Estimate your financial aidFinancial Aid is awarded to students who have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The Office of Financial Aid will give first priority to students who file their FAFSA by March 1.


Scholarships are limited at JMU to incoming transfer students. This is largely due to the fact that many of these scholarships are awarded in the early spring by faculty members. Some scholarship opportunities at JMU available to incoming transfer students include:

  • Thomas and Karyn Dingledine Scholarships - for VCCS transfer students
    • Two awards are made annually in the amount equivalent to full in-state tuition for two years at JMU
    • Application and recommendations must be postmarked no later than February 15. The deadline for 2012-13 has passed. View last year's application (PDF).
    • Eligibility:
      • Graduating from a Virginia Community College with a transferable A.A, A.S., or A.A&S. degree by the end of the Spring 2012 semester
      • Applying for admission to JMU to begin summer or fall
      • Have a minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.5
      • At least 60% of your college credits must be completed from community college
      • At the time of application, at least one college-level transferable course must be completed in English, math, lab science, and social science
  • Centennial Scholars - for students with a high financial need
  • The Jack C. Smith Scholarship - for prospective transfer students majoring within our College of Business and graduating from Mountain Empire CC, Virginia Highlands CC, Southwest Virginia CC, or Wytheville CC. Eligible students need only complete the JMU Transfer Application by the appropriate deadline and declare a major within the College of Business. View brochure (PDF).
  • Madison Achievement Scholarships – a merit-based scholarship with priority given to students completing their second year of college.

View the full list of scholarship opportunities for current students.