- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC - School of Social Work, M.S.W. Degree, 9/70-6/71
- University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD - School of Social Work, 9/69-6/70
- Madison College (James Madison University), Harrisonburg, VA - B.S. Degree Majors: Social Work and Sociology, 9/65-6/69
- Academic Unit Head, Department of Social Work, 1987-2013
- Professor, JMU Department of Social Work, 1973+
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Site Visitor, 1993+
- Association of Gerontology in Higher Education Program Reviewer, 1999+
- Co-Chair, SACSCOC JMU Reaccreditation, 2010-2013
- Practice experience in social services (foster care, adoptions, child and adult protective services, mental health services, therapeutic foster care, school social work, juvenile corrections).
Awards and Recognitions
- all together one award, faculty/academic unit head, 2013
- R. Ann Myers Distinguished Social Work Alumni Award (renamed in my honor), 2012
- R. Ann Myers VSWEC Lifetime Achievement Award in Social Work Education (created in my honor and presented to me as the first recipient), 2012
- Provost Award for Excellence in Leadership, 2010
- Adult Degree Program Faculty Advisor of the Year, 2010
- Emeriti Faculty Legacy Grant, JMU Emeriti Faculty Association, 2009
- Provost Award for Excellence in Assessment, Department of Social Work, 2007
- Women of Distinction Faculty Award, James Madison University, 2006
- Outstanding Baccalaureate Social Work Director Award, Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors , 2005
- Outstanding Social Work Educator, Virginia Social Work Education Consortium, 1991
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, Social Work Program, JMU, 1985
Professional Interests and Affiliations
- Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors Association (BPD)
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Virginia Social Work Education Consortium (VSWEC)
- Association of Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE)
- JMU-Lifelong Learning Institute (JMU-LLI), Lifetime Member
- Informational Meetings About Family Studies Minor to be Held
- The need for social workers is growing! View the Bureau of Labor Statistic's Occupational Outlook for Social Workers.
- January 13
Classes meet as scheduled.
- January 20
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Classes do not meet.
- March 10-14
- May 9-10