Code of Conduct for Sports Clubs
The Standards of Conduct shall serve as a guideline for how individuals are expected to behave when participating in National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) sponsored or endorsed activities. Students enrolled in an institution of higher learning assume an obligation to conduct themselves in a manner compatible with the college/university's function as an educational institution. When sport club members participate in an event sponsored or endorsed by the NIRSA, the participant indicates, by their registration in the event, they agree to represent their club and college/university in a way that does not detract from the reputation of the institution they are representing, and to act morally and display sportsmanship-like behavior, before, during and after any competition. Guidelines of conduct include, but are not limited to the examples outlined below.
PARTICIPANTS SHALL NOT:
- Use drugs, except for medical purposes, while traveling, competing, socializing and/or using facilities including lodging spaces
- Consume alcohol while traveling, competing or spectating.
- Strike, attempt to strike or otherwise physically abuse an official, opposing player, spectator or coach.
- Intentionally engage in or incite participants and/or spectators to engage in abusive or violent action.
- Use obscene gestures, profanity or disrespectful language.
- Violate any NIRSA, host university, hotel, city or state rules or policies.
VIOLATION of the Standards of Conduct may result in:
- Suspension from the game/match;
- Suspension from the tournament;
- Forfeiture of and individual or team awards;
- Ejection from the tournament hotel(s);
- Forfeiture of all games/matches won and possible team elimination from current and future NIRSA sponsored or endorsed events.