simultaneous membership program
Students currently in the National Guard or Army Reserve may join ROTC as part of the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) after completing their freshman year and beginning their sophomore year at James Madison University, Blue Ridge Community College, or Bridgewater College. Freshman and sophomore in the National Guard or Reserves can take the ROTC classes, but can not enter the SMP program until Fall of junior year.
Methods of joining:
- Current National Guard or Reserve soldiers need only to sign an ROTC contract that enables to start the program at their unit and enroll in leadership classes here at JMU
- New soldiers may either go to Basic Training first then contract with ROTC. (Basic training may not be required it you contract with ROTC right away).
Here are some benefits of the SMP program:
- You are non-deployable from the time you become a contracted SMP cadet until you graduate
- You will be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant when you graduate
- You will continue to receive Tuition Assistance which may cover the entire cost of your tuition at James Madison University
- You can choose to stay in the US Army National Guard, or the US Army Reserves, or go on active duty and serve in the US Army once you graduate
- You immediately begin receiving E-5 pay for drill weekends
- You will receive a monthly ROTC stipend of $350-500 a month
- Those who choose to complete Basic and Individual Training are eligible for Reserve component GI Bill at $333 monthly
For more information about SMP, contact SFC William R. Winegard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about joining the JMU ROTC
Battalion contact the Recruiting Operations
Mr. Craig Gibson
Phone: (540) 568-6264