A-to-Z Index

3 Steps to Transfer Benefits to Dependents

Step 1 (DEERS/TEB Approval)                 Step 2 (VA Form 22-1990e)

Step 3 (JMU Form)*

*This JMU Form is used by new 1st semester JMU students only.  Returning JMU students will receive their personalized form via email after registration for the upcoming semester. Any course required for major needs a major advisor signature.

Red and blue stars

Have you already received the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) in the name of the dependent?

If yes, then skip to Step #3.  JMU's VA Certifying Officials require a copy of the CoE and the JMU form from Step #3.

 Step 1: DoD/DHS Approval of Transfer

Service member makes transfer designation, completes form, and submits to DoD/DHS for approval.

Go to - http://milconnect.dmdc.mil

  • For log-on purposes, have available your Common Access Card (CAC) OR DoD Self Service User ID OR DFAS Pin number.  Note: This website only works in Internet Explorer.
  • At the top of the screen, it has the service member's name, rank, status, and date.  The status is "submitted" when the service member first submits the form.  It will change to "approved" after both the military branch and DoD/DHS approve the transfer of eligibility).
  • JMU's VA Certifying Officials need a copy of the approval.
  • Proceed to Step 2 once the TEB (transfer of benefits) is approved


 Step 2: Veterans Affairs Application for Post-9/11 Benefits

Service or family member completes and submits VA Form 22-1990e on the VONAPP website.

  • Please note this form should only be filled out and submitted to VA AFTER DoD/DHS has approved the request for TEB (step 1).
  • If applying for the Post 9/11 benefit for a dependent/spouse, make sure to complete the VA Form 22-1990e application. The VA Form 22-1990 application is for the veteran only.
  • Make sure the VA Form 22-1990e application is completed in the dependent's name.
  • JMU's VA Certifying Officials will need a copy of the submitted 22-1990e application.
  • If you set-up direct deposit on the 22-1990e application, payments for BAH & books/supplies will be deposited into this account. 

Award and certificate of eligibility letters will be generated by VA and mailed to the permanent home address of the dependent on the 22-1990e application.  Please send copies of letters to the JMU VA Certifying Officials.  (VA requires 8-10 weeks to process these letters). 


 Step 3: JMU's Request for Veterans Benefits Form

 After acceptance to JMU and completion of course registration during summer orientation, dependent completes JMU's Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form and sends to JMU School Certifying Official (SCO).

If you are receiving any scholarships, please provide documentation (letter or email) from the scholarship organization re: how the scholarship money is intended to be used. Please contact SCO if the dependent is receiving any scholarships.

If you will be using any other tuition/fee specific aid, we must know as it is treated like a tuition/fee specific scholarship. Ex - tuition waiver

  • 1st semester JMU students  - please print and fill out the JMU form (from above) once you have registered for classes.
  • Returning JMU Students - Effective Fall 2012, the “JMU Request for Veteran’s Educational Benefits” form is required to be turned in each semester or summer term you wish to request benefits.  After the initial first semester at JMU, the student's form is emailed to him/her each semester and requires an advisor signature before submitting to the School Certifying Official.  Do not return JMU form to SCO if student/parents do not want to request benefits for a semester.

Step 4: Enrollment Certification

JMU's School Certifying Officials (SCO) submits student’s enrollment to VA

JMU's SCO electronically submits the 22-1999 enrollment certification to VA which includes the students' credit hours, tuition charges, and fees.  Payments to the student for the BAH and books/supplies stipend, along with payment of tuition and fees to JMU, are calculated based on this certification.

Processing of a student's enrollment and release of initial payments (tuition, 1st BAH payment and book stipend) by VA can take at least 6-8 weeks each semester.  Please have money upfront to pay for books as well as pay all Room/Board charges by the 1st Friday of the semester or have at least 2 months of living expenses available (if living off campus).

[ TOP ]

Red and blue stars

 So what does the SCO need from me?

If you haven't received the Certificate of Eligibility in the dependent's name, then:

  • Copy of approved TEB done in DEERS (Step 1)
  • Copy of submitted 22-1990e (Step 2)
  • JMU Request for Benefits Form (Step 3)

    And after VA processes:
  • Award/Certificate of Eligibility Letter from VA (it may or may not precede the arrival of the VA payments.  Also, it may or may not have what we reported for credits, tuition charges, and fees, along with the amount VA is sending to JMU for tuition/fees and the amounts you should expect to receive for BAH and books/supplies stipend).

If you HAVE received the Certificate of Eligibility in the dependent's name, send:

[ TOP ]