A-to-Z Index


Important - If you are using the Post 9/11 benefit, please be aware of the federal regulations with any aid (including scholarships) that is tuition/fee specific:

"The actual net cost for in-state tuition and fees assessed by the institution for the program of education after the application of any waiver of, or reduction in, tuition and fees; and any scholarship, or other Federal, State, institutional, or employer-based aid or assistance (excluding loans and title IV funds, such as Federal Pell Grants, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Plus Loans, Perkins Loans, etc) that is provided directly to the institution and specifically designated for the sole purpose of defraying tuition and fees."

We will require documentation for how the money each scholarship is allowed to be used. Please click here for more information or contact the School Certifying Official if you have any questions.

 Information on Student Federal Aid - http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/military-student-loan-benefits.pdf

American Vets (AMVETS)

Scholarships for high school seniors, JROTC high school seniors, and veterans.

Army Emergency Relief

For dependent children and spouses of active duty, retired, or deceased while on active duty or after retirement.

Dolphin Scholarship Foundation

For children of members or former members of the Submarine Force who have qualified in submarines and served in the Submarine Force for at least 8 years OR Navy members who have served in submarine suppor activities for a minimum of 10 years.

 Marine Corps Scholarships Foundation

For children of U.S. Marines and former Marines.  Particular attention is given to students who have lost a parent or had a parent wounded in the line of duty.

 MilitaryOneSource Scholarships

A site that lists scholarships for children and spouses of military servicemembers.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Public Law 111-32, the Marine GYSGT John David Fry Scholarship, amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after September 01, 2001.  More information can be found here OR on the VA website.

 National Military Family Association Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarship

For spouses of all uniformed serive members (Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve, Retirees, and Survivors).  Money may be used for tuition, fees, room and board for those pursuing: GED or ESL, vocational training, professional certification, post-secondary, or graduate school.  Can be in-class or online classes and full-time or part-time.

Folds of Honor Foundation

To submit your supporting documents quickly and efficiently, please scan and email them to scholarships@foldsofhonor.org. If you are unable to scan your documents, you may mail them with a tracking number (i.e. FedEx, UPS, USPS) to 5800 N. Patriot Drive, Owasso, OK 74055, ATTN: Scholarship Department.

All applicants must be a spouse or dependent of a service member killed or disabled during service. Please refer to the General Scholarship Requirements section to the right for further details.

Navy Seal Foundation

Navy SEAL Foundation Scholarships will be awarded based on merit and academic potential. Merit shall be based on grade point average, SAT scores, class ranking, extracurricular activities, volunteer community involvement, leadership positions held, military service record, and employment as appropriate. Multiple scholarships of various dollar amounts are awarded annually. The Navy SEAL Foundation shall award scholarships without regard to race, color, sex, religion, or national origin.

Pat Tillman Military Scholar

For veteran and active duty service members of both pre-and post-9/11 service.  Service members who wish to start, finish, or further their education; who are enrolled as a full-time student at an American institution of higher learning; and those who benefits have expired or do not meet their needs.  Open to service members of all branches of the military, including National Guard and Reserve.  For service members pursuing undergraduate, graduate, post-graduate, 2-year, 4-year, public, private, vocational, and trade degrees or certifications.  Dependents of service members (children between the ages of 19 and 28 and spouses) whose benefits are insufficient or not transferable from their mother/father/husband/wife.

ThanksUSA Scholarship Program

For dependents and spouses of active-duty U.S. military service personnel (those who have served at least 180 days since 9/11/01, including all those who have been killed or wounded in action).


Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States - Voice of Democracy (VOD)

Audio-essay contest for high school students in grades 9-12.


Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States - Patriot's Pen

Youth essay writing contest for students in grades 6, 7, and 8.


Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States - Scout of the Year

 Must be a registered, active member of a Boy Scout Troop, Venturing Crew, or a Sea Scout Ship, and have received the Eagle Scout Award, Venture Silver Award, or Sea Scout Quartermaster Award.


Veteran POW-MIA Riders Scholarship Program

Open to any Rockingham County child of a Veteran or active duty military member and/or recently (within 36 months) honorably discharged Veteran.


Women's Overseas Service League

For women who are committed to advancement in military or other public service careers and have demonstrated such committment through life experiences.


Search for other scholarships on the following websites:

Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA) (for spouses, dependents, active duty, reserve, and veterans)


College Scholarships.org (for spouses, dependents, and veterans)


Fastweb - one of the largest free scholarship services on the internet; more than 275,000 scholarships, fellowships, grants, and loans; you can indicate your veteran status when filling out the information.


FreSch! - database of over 5,000 organizations and foundations that offer scholarships

Fundfinder - free web version of the College Board's Fund Finder scholarship database; you can indicate your veteran status when filling out the information

Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, Inc

JMU Financial Aid - Scholarships

Military.com (over 1,000 scholarships; for spouses, dependents, active duty, reserve, and veterans)

Military Scholar (for military children under age of 23)

MyMilitaryEducation.org (for spouses, dependents, and veterans)

Peterson's Student Edge

Sallie Mae

Scholarship America (the largest non-profit private sector scholarship and educational support organization)




**Also, please take a look at the JMU Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships "Where to Look" handout for helpful tips, resources, and FAQ**