A-to-Z Index

Veterans Educational Benefits

Welcome Active Duty Servicemembers, Veterans, Spouses and Dependents

Soldier with flag 

Thank you for your personal service or for the service of your relative to our nation!

This website honors those "selfless souls" that have served, are currently serving, and their families.  Personal integrity, commitment, loyalty, dedication, duty, honor, and sacrifice are "hallmark" terms that accurately describe veterans. 

The Office of the Registrar's VA Certifying Officials assist with the GI Bill process and serve as liaisons between: the student and Veterans Affairs; Veterans Affairs and JMU; JMU and the student; and the State Approving Agency (SAA) in Virginia and JMU.  

JMU will be closed Wednesday, November 26th through Friday, November 28th for the Thanksgiving holiday. We will return to the office on Monday, December 1st.  Have a safe and wonderful holiday! 

Informational Brochures

***** For Dependents and Spouses --> Chapter 33 Post 9/11 ******

                                                                            --> Chapter 35 and MSDEP

For Active Duty and Veterans --> Chapter 33 Post 9/11
                                    --> Chapter 1606 

JMU SVA is on Facebook

Click Here to join the group or type in "JMU Student Veterans Association" on Facebook.


For Veterans/families being charged out-of-state tuition:

The initial decision on residency will be made by our undergraduate Admissions Office. To be eligible for a military exception, you would need to be assigned a permanent duty station in Virginia (Note: The Pentagon is actually in Virginia.)

Receiving VA Benefits does not automatically qualify a servicemember/veteran/dependent for in-state tuition and residency. Please contact the following individuals with questions regarding residency:

  • If you are an incoming student and have questions about the fall semester and domicile, please contact Tammy Senger-Puckett in our Admissions Office at 540-568-5681.

  • If you have questions after your initial semester’s domicile or your situation changes, please contact Linda Combs at 540-568-3745 or combslc@jmu.edu.  Ms. Combs handles all domicile reclassifications for undergraduate and graduate students.


 To make VA inquiries, call 1-888-442-4551, Monday-Friday, 8am - 8pm (EST).

You can also ask VA a question using the Right Now Web Inquiry

Additionally, students are encouraged to register and utilize My eBenefits to assist them in the following: 

  • Obtaining up-to-date information on their educational entitlement

  • Updating their direct deposit and personal contact information

  • Downloading VA letters and personal documents

  • Viewing the current status of their payments (both education and disability)

Students can register for either a Basic or Premium account but must be enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligiblity Reporting System (DEERS) to obtain either account type. Visit eBenefits for more information.