A-to-Z Index


How to Apply for Post-9/11 GI Bill

First Time User of Post 9/11

Step 1: Access the Veterans Affairs (VONAPP) Website and complete VA Form 22-1990 application and submit electronically to VA

  • Print and retain a copy of the VA Form 22-1990 for yourself and fax or mail a copy to JMU's VA Certifying Officials.
  • Within 8-12 weeks, VA will generate an Award or Certificate of Eligibility Letter. It will be mailed to the address provided on your application.  This may or may not precede the arrival of payments. The letter may include information regarding tuition and fees, number of credits, and the amount VA will send to JMU for payment of tuition/fees and the amounts you should expect for payments of BAH and the books/supplies stipend.
  • After receipt of VA Certificate of Eligibility, provide a copy to JMU’s VA Certifying Officials.

Note: If you have already applied for Post 9/11 Benefits and received your award/certificate of eligibility letter from VA, JMU’s VA Certifying Officials only need a copy of this letter and the JMU form from step #2.

  • Important: Applying for the Post 9/11 Benefit is only done once.


Step 2: Request Post-9/11 Benefits by Completing the JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form

  • Following your acceptance to JMU, payment of deposit and after you have registered for courses, print JMU's Request for Veterans Educational Benefits formEnrollment in courses must meet General Education, major, minor, or degree requirements for graduation, or other approved program at JMU to qualify.  Return the form to JMU's School Certifying Officials once you are fully registered for classes and you are confident your schedule is finalized.  Follow the delivery instructions on the back of the form or at the bottom of this page.
  • If you are receiving any scholarships, please provide documentation from the scholarship organization of the intent of the scholarship. If you are using any other tuition/fee specific aid, we must know right away (ex - tuition waiver) Click Here for more information.
  • Note: This form must be turned in every semester a student wants to request benefits.  After your 1st semester at JMU, you will receive all future forms via email after registration for the upcoming semester is complete.  It will require your major advisor to approve and sign for courses required for your major.  Your delay in returning this completed form to JMU’s VA Certifying Officials may result in a delay of payments by VA.


Step 3: Enrollment Certification submitted to VA by JMU's Certifying Official

  • Once you have provided a copy of your VA Form 22-1990 or Certificate of Eligibility and the 'JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits' and your courses are verified, JMU's VA Certifying Officials will electronically submit the 22-1999 enrollment certification to VA.
  • Provide copy of DD-214 to SCO for military credit evaluation.  How to get a copy of your DD-214 Member 4: visit
    https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal and create a premium account. This will give you access to your military documents, including your DD-214 Member 4 copy. The Member 4  version is preferred by VA when applying for educational benefits. Or you can visit Visit http://www.archives.gov/veterans/ to request a copy of your DD-214
  • This will include the students' credit hours, tuition charges, and fees.  Payments to the student for the BAH and books/supplies stipend, along with payment of tuition and fees to JMU, are calculated based on this certification. 
  • The requesting of benefits each semester is the only repeatable step.  In order to request benefits for each semester, you MUST turn in the JMU form
  • Note: This step can only be done by JMU’s VA Certifying Official.

If you were receiving Post 9/11 benefits at a college/university other than JMU

If you have received Post 9/11 benefits at another college or university, you will need to provide:

If you currently receive Post 9/11 benefits at JMU

If you wish to request benefits for an upcoming semester or session, you will need to complete:

  • The JMU form and return to a School Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office in Warren Hall. It will be emailed to you during registration and requires an advisor signature for any course needed for your major.
  • If you have made changes to your JMU career (such as going from undergraduate to graduate), you will also need to complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

 **Delivery Instructions**

The above items can be faxed to 540-568-5615, delivered to the Registrar's Office in Room 5300 of the Student Success Center, or mailed to:

VA School Certifying Official
Office of the Registrar
Student Success Center Room 5300
738 South Mason Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22807