Cover Photo Image

How do I know if I am eligible for graduation honors?

To be considered for graduation honors, students who enter JMU for the first time in Fall 2015 and thereafter need at least four regular semesters (fall and spring) at JMU, a minimum of 60 attempted and earned credit hours at JMU, and a minimum grade point average of 3.50 at JMU (including any work completed at JMU as a Dual Enrollment student prior to undergraduate matriculation, and/or any work attempted and earned beyond four semesters or 60 credit hours). For students who entered JMU for the first time prior to Fall 2015, please consult the undergraduate catalog for information regarding graduation with honors for the year in which you first enrolled at JMU.  Graduation honors noted in the commencement program will be based on the grade point average at the end of the semester preceding the semester in which final graduation requirements are met. For students who participate in the May ceremony but complete requirements in summer session, the honors noted in the commencement program will be based on the grade point average earned at the end of the preceding fall semester. Final graduation honors recorded on the diploma and transcript will be determined by the grade point average at the end of the semester in which all graduation requirements are met.

Honors Grade Point Average
Cum laude 3.5 - 3.699
Magna cum laude 3.7 - 3.899
Summa cum laude 3.9 and above

How can I find out about the status of my degree application?

When the Office of the Registrar receives your application from your major department office you will receive a confirmation email in your JMU email account. Our office will begin reviewing graduation applications and evaluating your graduation status approximately one week after the open enrollment period has begun for the term in which you have indicated that you will complete all academic requirements (November for May graduation, etc.).  We will send an email to your JMU email address your official evaluation that lists all requirements as either “On Track” (completed or currently enrolled requirements) or “Deficient” (not completed nor currently enrolled requirements).  You will receive your status prior to the end of add/drop period for the term in which you intend to graduate in order to give you enough time to adjust your schedule to rectify any deficiencies. All questions/issues on the evaluation must be resolved before the degree will be awarded. Approximately one month before your graduation day, you will receive an announcement letter in your JMU email account with information about the ceremony and various commencement activities.

Can I walk in the May or December graduation ceremony if I will complete requirements at a later date?

All graduation requirements must be met in the semester for which you have applied to graduate. Students may not participate in the December commencement if their requirements will be met in the coming spring semester, nor may students who will complete their requirements in the coming fall semester participate in the previous May commencement. Students are permitted to participate in the May ceremony if all requirements for graduation will be completed during the subsequent summer session, but the diploma will not be awarded until the end of the summer term and will be given an August confer date.

When should I expect to receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed to students approximately 8 weeks after each conferral date. All diplomas are mailed to the primary address listed in MyMadison. If you would like to have your diploma mailed to an alternate address, you can update your information in MyMadison.

Some account holds can prevent your diploma from being ordered. Once the hold is removed, please email so we know to order your diploma.

Your diploma will list your full name as listed in MyMadison, as well as the degree earned. Your major(s), minor(s), and concentration(s) will not appear on the diploma.

All James Madison University diplomas measure 12 inches by 16 inches in landscape format.

To order a replacement diploma, please complete the Diploma Request Form. The diploma will have the current signatures of the university president and rector.

If you are requesting a copy of your diploma for degree verification, check to see if an official transcript or verification letter would be accepted instead. Typically, a transcript or letter serves as official proof of graduation in place of a diploma. An actual diploma is usually required for verification in foreign countries.

How can I change my graduation date?

If you have applied to graduate and you need to change your anticipated graduation date, please send an email to from your JMU email account requesting that it be corrected.

Back to Top