National Student Clearinghouse
Alumni and former students can order their official transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse. No login is required.
If you attended prior to fall 1995, you will order your transcript through the online ordering system but your student record is in a format that is not compatible with electronic delivery.
If you are a CURRENT STUDENT please click here.
Important Transcript Ordering Information
- James Madison University only releases official transcripts.
- Transcripts are processed free of charge.
- All transcript requests must be placed through our NSC online order system.
- All transcripts are processed within five business days of the receipt of the order.
- The National Student Clearinghouse website is accessible through Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer (IE). You may experience compatibility issues using other browsers.
If you attended JMU at any time prior to Fall 1995, your student record is in a format that is not compatible with electronic delivery.
Any student who has attended JMU since Fall 1995 may request to have a transcript sent electronically. Before ordering, contact the recipient to determine if they will accept an electronic transcript in their email.
- Be advised: Pursuing this option does NOT reduce processing time. All transcript requests are processed within five business days.
- To reduce transcript shipping time, your only option is to privately purchase a UPS Label by visiting www.ups.com. Please contact UPS directly if you have questions about filling out your label or payment options. The UPS Label can be submitted along with our transcript request form by uploading the label as an attachment (See Document Attachments).
- Scan and save your document as a PDF. Upload PDF when you request transcript on National Student Clearinghouse website.
- Only approved attachments will be sent with transcripts. If your document is not required for transcript processing, the attachment will not be sent.
(Examples of approved forms: LSAC, AMCAS, Professional Certification Form, UPS Label)
To obtain transcripts for the Apostille Seal, please complete the online request form via NSC. You will need to upload a document on the second page of the online request form, asking the transcript be prepared for the Apostille Seal. The Office of the Registrar will take the necessary steps to prepare the transcript and return it to you for your Apostille Seal application.
The National Student Clearinghouse is a third party vendor that is used to collect transcript order information. They deliver the order information to JMU, where we verify a student’s identity using the information supplied. The Clearinghouse does not capture the social security number (SSN) for transcript request purposes. Your academic record travels through the third party vendor only if you request an electronic transcript. The transcript is sent using a secure server and is protected behind a secure site accessible only by the intended recipients who must authenticate their identity with a username and password.
The information that is collected through the online request is used for fulfilling your transcript request only. It will not be used for any other purposes, unless you indicate so.
How do I order a transcript?
You can order your transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse online ordering system. National Student Clearinghouse
How much does the transcript cost?
Transcripts are processed free of charge.
Can I pay for a rushed transcript?
Transcripts are processed free of charge; therefore, there is no rush option. You may purchase a UPS label and provide the label with your request. Please know that this will not reduce processing time, but will reduce mail time.
What if I don’t remember my student ID number?
You have the opportunity to provide your SSN if you do not remember your student ID.
What if I do not remember the years I attended JMU?
Please provide the information to the best of your knowledge. You will be contacted if there are further questions.
Do I have to enter a mailing address even if I am requesting an electronic transcript?
Yes, you are required to provide a mailing address as well as an email address in case your record is not compatible with electronic delivery.
What documents can I upload to be sent with my transcript?
Only required transcript processing forms can be sent with the transcript. JMU staff will review each document before it is sent with the transcript. If the document is not required by the recipient, it will not be sent with the transcript.
What do I do if I want my semester grades or degree on my transcript?
You need to watch your unofficial transcript on MyMadison. Once your grades and/or degree are posted, you may order your transcript.
Why is my consent required?
Under federal law, the University must have a release each time a transcript is sent. If consent is not received, the transcript will not be processed.
Do I have to keep my username and password?
Yes, the electronic transcript is username and password protected even when saved to your computer.
I am having problems accessing my electronic transcript?
Please see these directions.
I need the Apostille Seal. What do I need to do?
If you need to obtain the Apostille Seal, please complete the online request form via NSC. You will need to upload a document on the second page of the online request form, asking the transcript be prepared for the Apostille Seal. The Office of the Registrar will take the necessary steps to prepare the transcript and return it to you for your Apostille Seal application.