Cover Photo Image

Where is the Intramural Office located?

The Intramural Office is located in UREC on the third floor.

What are the Intramural Office hours?

Monday through Friday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.

Where can I find the UREC Intramural Sports Handbook?

Download the handbook/manual by clicking here!

How do I create an account on the online registration system,

All intramural participants will be required to create an account on IMLeagues offers a live support button in the top right corner of all pages, please use this button if you encounter any difficulties.

To create an IMLeagues account go to or go to and click Create Account or go to and click “Log in with Facebook” if you have a Facebook account with your school email attached - this will automatically create an account, fill in your info, and join you to the school.

Enter your information, and use your JMU email if applicable ( or and submit. You will be sent an activation email, click the link in the email to login and activate your IMLeagues account. You should be automatically joined to your school. If not, you can search schools by clicking the “Schools” link.

How do I sign up for an Intramural Sport on

Log in to your account. Click the Create/Join Team button at the top right of your User Homepage page or click on the “James Madison University” link to go to your school’s homepage on IMLeagues. The current sports will be displayed, click on the sport you wish to join. Choose the league you wish to play in (Men’s, Women’s, Co-Rec, etc.). Choose the division you’d like to play in (Monday 5PM, Tuesday 5PM, etc.).You can join the sport one of three ways.

  • First, if you want to be a team captain, Create a Team. Captains can invite members to their team by clicking the “Invite Members” link on the team page. Any invited members must accept the invitation to join your team. If they’ve already registered on IMLeagues, search for their name, and invite them. If they haven’t yet registered on IMLeagues, scroll down to the “Invite by Email Address” box, and input their email address.

  • Second, you can Join a Team. Use the Create/Join Team Button at top right of every page. Or, accept a request from a captain to join their team. Or, find the team and captain name on division/league page and request to join. Or, go to the captain’s playercard page, view their team, and request to join

  • Third, you can Join as a Free Agent. You can list yourself as a free agent in as many divisions within a league as you’d like. You will be visible to all members of the site and can request to join teams, or post information about yourself so teams can request to add you to their team.

What if I want to play an Intramural Sport, but I don't have a team?

You can list yourself as a free agent in as many divisions within a league as you’d like on the registration web site. You will be visible to all members of the site and can request to join teams, or post information about yourself so teams can request to add you to their team.

What are my responsibilities if I choose to become a Team Captain?

Team Captains are the first individuals contacted regarding scheduling, disciplinary issues, and serve as the liaison for University Recreation.

Before Season Begins

  • Assume the responsibility of managing the intramural team

  • Ensure that all members of the team are eligible for intramural play

  • Complete the online sportsmanship quiz, which is located on Blackboard.

  • Pay the forfeit bond ($30 or $10 depending on sport) at the UREC Welcome Center during the specified collection days and times.

  • Educate the team on all intramural policies and procedures and sport rules

  • Notify all members of their weekly schedule and playoff schedule (Playoff times will vary because of facility and time constraints)

During Season

  • Ensure all members are present at the game 10 minutes prior to game time with their JACards.

  • Enforce sportsmanship among all team members and fans, before, after, and during the contest. The captain is responsible for the actions of all affiliates.

  • Sign the game sheets after every contest to verify the accuracy of sportsmanship rating.

  • Notify all team members of any cancellations.

  • Follow and adhere to the forfeit procedures.

  • Attend all disciplinary meetings between team members and Intramural Coordinator.

  • Attend Playoff Captains Meeting.

Which are the different levels of competition?

Information found here.

What are the rules for eligibility?

The Rules and Regulations are outlined below and are designed for the safety of our participants. Any questions, comments or concerns can be addressed with the Assistant Director for Intramural Sports. These are the guidelines that participants must follow in order to be eligible to enroll or play in UREC Intramurals.

  • Undergraduates/Graduate Students: All undergraduate students enrolled in 7 or more hours (6 or more hours for graduate students) at JMU are eligible for intramural competition. Undergraduate students enrolled in 1 to 6 hours (1 to 5 hours for graduate students) will be required to pay a recreation fee in order to participate in the program.

  • Faculty and Staff: All full-time faculty and staff at JMU are eligible for intramural competition. Spouses of full-time faculty and staff are required to obtain a URAC card to participate in the program. All part-time faculty/staff can participate in the program; however, their spouses cannot participate.

  • Alumni: All alumni are ineligible to participate without a proper membership to UREC.

  • Professional Athletes: Students ineligible for varsity competition due to professional rank are prohibited from competition in the intramural sport(s). Those participants with professional rank will be ineligible for five (5) years from the date professional career ended. (This does not include try-outs and cuts from a professional team).

  • Varsity Letter Person: A person who has received a varsity award at any university (4 year college or junior college) within the last academic year is ineligible to compete in the lettered sport or a related sport. They will be allowed to compete one full year after their final varsity season. However, teams may only carry one former varsity player on their roster.

  • Student Athletes: Any person whose name appears on a varsity, junior varsity, or freshman roster will be ineligible in that intramural sport during that academic year. This includes all players who are "red shirt" in any sport or anyone who practices with a team regularly but does not participate in intercollegiate competition.

  • Sport Club Members: Teams are restricted to two Sports Club members in their related intramural activity. Sport Club members can only compete in Level 2 and Level 3 activities (Level 1 is prohibited). Sport Club members are defined as individuals who meet any one of the following criteria:

    • Name appears on Sport Club team roster during the academic year.

    • Signed a participation waiver and is actively participating in club functions.

    • Actively participating with the club during their season.

    • Playoff Eligibility: In order to be eligible for the Divisional or All University Championships in a sport, an individual must have only his/her name and JACard number on the team's roster. Participants did not have to play during the regular season to be eligible for playoffs.

What is the forfeit bond policy?

All Intramural Sports teams are required to pay either a $30 or $10 forfeit bond prior to securing their spot in the league. This bond is intended to prevent teams from forfeiting a game during the season. If teams do not forfeit a game during their season, that bond will be returned at the end of each semester. Team sports that require Officials include a $30 forfeit bond and all other sports carry a $10 forfeit bond. Forfeit bonds must be paid using Flex at the UREC Welcome Center during the designated days and times.

How can I avoid losing my forfeit bond?

Request to Cancel. A team that has a regular season or playoff conflict may either "request to cancel" as opposed to forfeiting the contest. To, "request to cancel", a team representative must email or call 540-568-8786 by 3pm the day of the game. If this deadline is missed, a team may still notify the intramural staff; however, the game will be considered a forfeit and the forfeit bond will not be returned. The contest is recorded as a loss by the defaulting team, but forfeit bonds are not lost to UREC in the “request to cancel” option.

How do I put money on Flex for a forfeit bond?

There is a DART machine located in the UREC lobby that participants can utilize to deposit money into their FLEX account. This DART machine also provides DART cards. Visitors and participants can purchase the cards out of the DART machine for one dollar ($0.75 for the card and $0.25 credit put on the card). They can then put money on them to use for FLEX charges. For more information about FLEX, visit Campus Card Services.

How do I know if intramural games are canceled?

The decision to play or cancel the games will not be made until 3:00pm on the day of the inclement weather. Games will be rescheduled at the discretion of the Assistant Director/Coordinator of Intramural Sports/Graduate Assistant. Any games that started and are canceled anytime throughout the night because of weather, the following are options that participants can perform to become notified (the Assistant Director/Coordinator/Graduate Assistant will follow protocol to cancel contests). Participants can call the Welcome Desk of UREC at (540) 568-8737. A mass email from the Intramural Sports Staff will be sent to all team captains. Participants should check the web site or their email a half hour prior to their contest.

What is the Sportsmanship Rating System?

Information found here. UREC and the Intramural Sports program are dedicated to promote and enforce positive sportsmanship among all JMU participants. Through each contest participants must portray fair play, respect for opponents, and intramural staff, as well as, graciousness in winning or losing. In order to encourage proper conduct during games, officials, supervisors, and administrative personnel will make decisions to warn, penalize and/or eject players, coaches, teams, and/or spectators for poor sportsmanship. The decisions made by these individuals are final and will be reviewed by the Coordinator of Intramural Sports. In the instance teams challenge their rating, only the captain will meet with the Coordinator of Intramural Sports to discuss the issue. All captains are responsible for the conduct of their teams during an intramural contest. The sportsmanship rating can be affected by actions occurring before or after a contest.

What if my question is not answered here?

View the Intramural Handbook or contact Assistant Director for Intramural Sports and Special Events.

Back to Top