Get started at UREC and learn the basics of our Informal Recreation opportunities. Click to learn more about drop-in:
Racquet & Paddle Sports
Priority is given to those with prior approved reservations; all other use is on a first come basis. There is a two game limit and rotation will be enforced when participants are waiting.
- Racquetball (6 Courts at UREC, first and second floors)
Try the Racqueball Ladder on the first floor of UREC across from the Racquetball Courts near the MAC Gym!
- Table Tennis (2 Tables at UREC, second floor)
Check out paddles and balls at the UREC Equipment Center.
- Badminton (Available for setup in the UREC MAC Gym)
Badminton matches will be limited to two out of three or one-hour time limit. Reservations may be made daily for use at the UREC Welcome Center.
- Tennis (4 Courts at University Park, 4 Courts at UREC, 6 Courts at Hillside)
Do not adjust, move or sit on the tennis nets. If adjustments are needed, please contact a UREC Staff Member at the Welcome Center. Do not climb fences to retrieve tennis balls. Courts are intended for the sport of tennis only. Hillside Courts may only be used when Varsity teams are not practicing.
- Pickleball (Available for setup in the UREC MAC Gym or Main Gym)
Pickleball is played on a badminton court with the net lowered 34 inches at the center. Equipment is available for checkout at the UREC Equipment Center.
Priority is given to those with prior approved reservations; all other use is on a first come basis. There is a two game limit and rotation will be enforced when participants are waiting. Do not adjust, move or hang on goals, nets or baskets. If adjustments are needed, a UREC Staff Member will gladly assist.
- Volleyball (1 Sand Court at UREC Courtyard, 2 Sand Courts at University Park, Indoor Courts available for setup in UREC Main Gym)
- Basketball (4 Indoor Courts in UREC Main Gym, 1 Indoor Court in UREC MAC, 2 Outdoor Courts at University Park)
Hats and watches must be removed prior to participation. For your safety, all extra apparel, equipment, and personal belongings must be kept in the bench areas. Dunking is permitted, hanging on rims/nets is prohibited. While full-court games are in progress, spectators may not shoot at either basket for the safety of all participants.
- Soccer (University Park Multi-Purpose Turf)
Metal spikes and sunflower seeds are not permitted.
- Walleyball (Available for Setup in UREC Racquetball Courts)
- Floor Hockey (Available for setup in the UREC MAC Gym)
- Football (University Park Multi-Purpose Turf)
- Indoor Track (UREC Level 3)
Directional signs will specify clockwise or counter-clockwise traffic flow based on the day of the week. Participants must follow the directional sign at all times. The track is for running, walking, and jogging: faster participants will keep to the outside; slower participants will yield on the inside. Appropriate footwear is required—running spikes are prohibited.
- UREC 5k Route (JMU Campus)
- University Park Loop (Multi-Purpose Turf)
One lap around the outside of the fence at the turf is 0.4 miles.
- JMU Arboretum
Informal Outdoor Gatherings
Priority is given to those with prior approved reservations; all other use is on a first come first serve basis. Spaces can comfortably accommodate many types of group gatherings.
- UREC Courtyard
A sand volleyball team must relinquish the court following the second consecutive win if additional participants are waiting to participate.
- University Park Pavilion
Alcohol and tobacco products are not permitted. Dispose of all trash before leaving the pavilion. The misuse of tables and chairs is not permitted. Anything that is moved must be returned to its original location.
- Lawn Games (University Park Event Lawn)