Warm A Winter Wish
Each year, UREC receives wish lists of individuals and families from First Step, Mercy House and Crossroads to Brain Injury Recovery. Their wishes are hung on a tree in UREC for faculty, staff, and students to fulfill. It has been proven for the past 17 years that JMU students demonstrate incredible generosity and kindness each year by donating their time and many of the gifts. Seeing the gym lined with wrapped gifts is a moving demonstration of the difference we can make when we all do a small part.
Our goals include extending the UREC mission to community with an emphasis on creating healthy life styles, recognizing that gifts purchased connect to a community need and connecting community organizations to students, faculty and staff and vice versa.
There are involvement opportunities for individuals, organizations and departments.
- Take a Wish from the UREC Holiday Tree: You simply need to come to UREC, remove a wish from the tree, purchase the gift and return it unwrapped to UREC with the wish tag on the present (this way we know what family and individual the gift goes to). The Warm a Winter Wish Tree will be stocked with wishes November 18, 2013 in the UREC Lobby. Gifts are due December 12 at Noon.
- Attend the Annual UREC Wrapping Party: Come to UREC and help wrap gifts with UREC student and professional employees! The annual wrapping party will take place Thursday, December 12, 2013 2-5pm in the UREC MAC Gym.
- Donate Wrapping Supplies: It takes a lot of wrapping paper and tape to wrap over 1000 gifts!
- Perform at the Wrapping Party: Encourage our volunteer wrappers as they work through performing if you are an a capella or dance group.
- Donate in Other Ways: Delivering gifts, promoting the event, preparing gift tags, other ways you can think of.