Departmental Purchase Order (DPO)
• Use of the DPO
• DPO forms
• General Instructions
• DPO Preparation Instructions
• Terms, Conditions and Instructions to Vendors
Use of the DPO
The DPO is to be used for items when the department and/or the vendor needs paper documentation of an order that is not required to be entered into eVA (it is an eVA Exclusion). The DPO may be used by university departments to purchase goods and services directly from a vendor if the total cost, including freight and taxes (if applicable), is $4999.99 or less with the exception of the items listed under "Restrictions" below.
The department head is responsible for the proper administration of the DPO to ensure proper procurement practices and for ensuring that there are sufficient funds in the departmental budget to cover the expenditures of the DPO.
For all invoices without an eVA DO number shown on it, the department must complete an Accounting Voucher to initiate payment. See the Financial Procedures Expenditures Section for more information.
Back to the Top
Back to the Top
- Usage of the DPO is limited to items that are considered eVA Exclusions.
- The DPO may be used for any purchase of $4999.99 or less except as noted in the restrictions. If a department chooses not to use a DPO, or another approved method, a Requisition for Purchase must be completed and forwarded to Procurement.
- Order splitting is prohibited. If the total cost of an item, including shipping, is over $5000 a purchase requisition must be submitted to Procurement Services. You may not issue multiple DPO's to the same vendor in order to reduce the amount of the DPO to under $4999.99.
- The DPO should be typed and completely filled out prior to order placement.
- Prices should be confirmed and determined to be reasonable prior to order placement.
- The Procurement Services copy of the DPO should be sent to Procurement Services immediately upon order placement in order to conform to audit requirements.
- Vendors should be rotated to avoid favoring a particular vendor.
- Transportation costs, and any taxes if applicable, must be included in the total price which cannot exceed $4999.99.
Back to the Top
- TO: (Vendor): Enter vendor information including complete company name, street address or post office box number, city, state, and ZIP code, vendor phone number, vendor fax number and vendor identification number (i.e. FIN, FEI or Social Security number).
- Deliver To: Departments who wish to have delivery made directly by the vendor to their department should type their building name and room number in the space provided. Departments wishing to have their goods delivered to the JMU Facilities Management Warehouse for delivery by warehouse or buildings and grounds personnel, should type "Facilities Management Warehouse" in the address portion of this space. Also include on the ATTN: line the name and telephone number of the person responsible for the purchase. Partial shipments are allowed only if vendor does not require partial payment. One payment will be made when all items are received.
- Send Invoice To: Unless your department is listed as an option, mark the Accounts Payable block. Please Note: For any invoices without an "eVA DO #" shown on it, the department must complete an Accounting Voucher to initiate payment.
- Date Ordered: Enter the date purchase order is typed and sent to vendor.
- Delivery Required On or Before: Enter the date delivery is required. Choose a realistic date or check with vendor for lead time. DO NOT use ASAP or any other abbreviation or phrase which is not a specific date.
- Work Order Number: For FACILITIES MANAGEMENT use only.
- Restricted Items: Any restricted item listed cannot be purchased using this form.
- Exclusion #: Enter the appropriate exclusion number that corresponds with the goods/services being purchased.
- Detailed Description: Enter full description of item(s) ordered including model numbers, stock numbers, colors, sizes and any other information necessary to identify exactly the item you require. List what, if any, equipment, supply or services the item is to be based in conjunction with or of which it is an integral part.
- Quantity: Enter quantity required.
- Unit: Enter unit of measure, i.e. each, doz, set, etc.
- Unit Price: Enter the unit price of item(s) ordered. The department is responsible for ensuring the correct price is entered.
- Amount: Enter the result of multiplying quantity by unit price.
- Explanation of Non-eVA Purchase If No Exclusion # Is Provided: Provide explanation as to why this purchase is not being made through eVA. If the order does not have an exclusion number appropriate for the items being ordered your department will be charged the 1% fee.
- Organization and Account Codes and Amount: Enter the organization number, expenditure account code and corresponding amount that goes with each code. See Financial Procedures Manual, Section 2010 "Department Organization Numbers", and Section 2015 "Expenditure Account Codes and Definitions".
- Shipping and Handling Charges: Enter amount charged by vendor to ship items to JMU.
- Total Amount: Enter the grand total of all items ordered including shipping and handling charges. Total CANNOT exceed $5,000.00.
- Authorized Signature and Date: Enter the signature of the responsible department official and the date signed. (Approved signature as indicated on signature authorization card in accounting and reporting office). Signature attests that sufficient funds remain in the department's current budget to cover the purchase. This determination is inclusive of all previously issued DPO's or Purchase Requisition Forms.
- Receiving Signature and Date: Enter signature of department person receiving item(s). The date should be the date the items are actually received. NOTE: The Authorized Signature and the Receiving Signature lines cannot be the same person.
Back to the Top
These restrictions also apply to goods and services purchased without a purchase order or by means of the small purchase credit card
- Items listed as restricted on the DPO:
- Non-Virginia Correctional Enterprise Furniture
- unapproved printing
- narcotics or dangerous drugs
- alcoholic beverages
- firearms and ammunition
- property leases
- purchases from a state employee
- cellular phones
- professional services
- non-professional services that require other Commonwealth approvals
- Items restricted for other reasons:
- copier rentals (information must be captured for Accounting & Reporting)
- vehicles (require Commonwealth approval)
- construction/renovation (require Facilities Management approval)
- air conditioners (require Facilities Management approval)
- two-way radios (require FCC approval)
- Items on a preferred use state contract which are purchased "off-contract" from another vendor:
If an item is available on State contract the State contract is the recommended first source for the purchase. An institution can however, purchase from another source if the:
- contract does not meet the delivery requirements.
- contract products quality exceeds or does not meet the institution's needs.
- contract product cost exceeds the cost of the product available on the open market.
If you wish to purchase goods on a preferred use state contract from a vendor other than the vendor specified in the contract, you must complete a Requisition for Purchase and forward it to Procurement along with a justification as to why it is in the best interests of the Commonwealth to purchase the goods "off-contract". However, if the purchase quantity does not meet the contract's minimum purchase requirements, you may use the DPO to order the item "off-contract" from another source. For a list of goods and services available on state contract click here.
Institutions must provide DPS/DGS with quarterly reports for off-DPS contract purchases.
Back to the Top
Terms, Conditions and Instructions to Vendors
Back to the Top