If you are a JMU faculty or staff member and wish to take a course at JMU under the university's tuition waiver policy, please visit http://www.jmu.edu/JMUpolicy/1402.shtml to view the complete policy.
Procedure:Persons seeking a waiver of tuition for courses taken under this policy will:
1. Prepare the Waiver of Tuition Form, available from the Office of Human Resources at http://www.jmu.edu/humanresources/wm_library/twform.pdf.
2. Non-degree seeking employees are classified as Non-Degree Seeking Students and must process a Non-Degree Seeking Student Application (located at www.jmu.edu/outreach).
3. The Office of Human Resources will affirm that the employee qualifies for tuition waiver and will then forward the processed Waiver of Tuition Form to the University Business
Office for final processing and approval of the waiver to be applied to employee account. Tuition waivers will only be processed after the university's semester census date. Employees receiving a balance due bill after submitting a tuition waiver will have their accounts adjusted by the amount of the tuition waiver for which they quality.
4. Employees will be sent an email confirmation that the waiver has been processed by HR.
5. Early processing of the Waiver of Tuition Form is strongly encouraged.
6. Taxable waivers are subject to state and federal withholding and social security and Medicare taxes and are based on the employee's taxable income. At the end of each semester, the University Business Office will provide Payroll Services a listing of employees that have received more than $5,250.00 (the amount generally exempt from taxation under Internal Revenue Code Section 127). Payroll Services will collect the appropriate taxes from each employee at the end of the semester in which the employee exceeds the exempt limit for non-job related tuition waivers. Employee's W-2 will include taxable waivers.