K-8 Mathematics Specialist (M.Ed. and Endorsement)
Mathematics Specialists are teacher leaders based in elementary and middle school settings who have strong preparation and background in mathematics and instructional strategies specific to grades K-8 and are prepared to serve in leadership roles. Mathematics Specialists serve as resources for professional development for teachers, curriculum development and implementation, and parent and community education.
The program consists of 36 hours: 15 hours of coursework in mathematics, 15 hours of coursework in mathematics education, and 6 hours of an externship. Students may choose to pursue only the endorsement, which includes the the 30 hours of coursework in mathematics and mathematics education, but not the 6 hours of an externship.
- 3 years teaching experience where mathematics was a primary responsibility
- 6 hours of mathematics courses (undergraduate and/or graduate)
- complete the Praxis II for middle school math (code 5169)
To Apply: Complete the online graduate admission application at the JMU Graduate School and submit the following items to Ann Wallace.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- personal statement indicating why you want to enroll in the program (2-3 pages)
Dr. Ann Wallace
K-8 Mathematics Specialist Program
College of Education
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807