Requests for room changes can be submitted on the first business day of each semester. The Housing Office may not process room change requests until after the first three weeks of each semester. For a smooth room change, students should take the following steps:
- Discuss plans with current roommate(s).
- Meet with the Hall Director of the student’s residence hall and complete a Room Change Request Form.
- The Housing Office will notify the student once his or her request has been approved, via their JMU e-mail address.
- Schedule a meeting with the new Hall Director to complete a room condition form and receive key(s).
- Move belongings into new room assignment.
- Schedule a meeting with the original hall director to complete and sign a Room Condition Form and return keys after student removes all belongings from his or her original room assignment.
Direct Switches of Room Assignments
A direct switch involves two residents of the same hall exchanging room assignments. Hall Directors have the authority to approve direct switches. Room changes into vacant spaces or any other hall must follow the Room Change guidelines outlined above.
Unauthorized Room Changes
Room changes cannot be made without proper authorization. Students may be fined for unauthorized room changes and must return to their original room assignments.
End of Semester Room Changes
At the end of the fall semester there are usually a substantial number of room changes. Students who request a room change should submit their Room Change Request form to the Hall Director by a designated deadline. If a student's roommate is moving and the student does not notify ORL of his or her roommate preference, ORL will assign a new roommate to the student's room.