Housing Application Information
What is a Housing Application?
- A Housing Application is an online form that lets the Office of Residence Life know that a student has interest in living on campus during the upcoming academic year.
- Completing a Housing Application does not guarantee a student a space on campus nor does it commit a student to on-campus housing.
- Students must complete a Housing Application in order to become eligible for a Housing Contract.
- The University does not guarantee on-campus housing for any student after their freshman year.
Who should complete a Housing Application?
- Students who are currently living on campus and are interested in living on campus during the upcoming academic year should complete a Housing Application.
- New transfer students who are interested in living on campus during the upcoming academic year.
- Students living off campus and are interested in living on campus in the upcoming academic year should complete a Housing Application.
- New freshmen are required to live on campus. They complete a one step application-contract process as outlined in their OneBook.
Why should I complete a Housing Application?
- You must complete a Housing Application in order to become eligible for a Housing Contract.
- The Office of Residence Life creates a list of applicants and offers Housing Contracts to these applicants as space permits.
- Current freshmen will be given priority for Housing Contracts. Contracts are then offered on a first come, first serve basis to applicants who are currently living on campus, then to new incoming transfers, and finally to students who are currently living off campus.
When should I complete a Housing Application and how do I do so?
- Applications for the Fall 2013-Spring 2014 academic year will be available starting at 10pm on October 1, 2012 via the Online Housing System. Information about applying for on-campus housing will be emailed to all current on-campus students in September..
What happens after I apply?
The Office of Residence Life determines if there is enough space available to offer the applicant a Housing Contract.
If there is space available:
- The applicant will be sent an e-mail to their JMU e-mail address with an offer for a Housing Contract and a due date.
- Applicants must sign the contract online by the assigned due date in order to guarantee housing for the upcoming academic year.
- The contract will be binding for the entire academic year for which it is signed and may only be cancelled within 5 business days after it is signed.
- Students should not submit a Housing Contract as a backup plan, as they will be held to all terms and conditions once the contract is received.
If there is no space available:
- Applications will be kept on file. Contract offers are made to applicants on an as space permits basis.
How do I cancel my Housing Application?
- Housing Applications are automatically inactivated if a student is offered a Housing Contract and fails to sign the contract by the due date.
- If you have not been offered a Housing Contract and are no longer interested in being on our applicant list, please emal us at email@example.com to cancel your Application.