Multicultural Program Idea List
- “Crash”ing into Diversity
- Watch the movie “Crash” followed by a reflection/discussion.
- Invisible Children Presentation
- Presented by the organization Amnesty International
- Spirituality Dialogues
- Have residents take about how spirituality effects each of their lives.
- Mardi Gras
- Soul Food Feast
- Valentine’s Day: Around the World
- Teach residents how to say I Love You in different Languages
- Don’t Label Me!
- Have everyone guess what stereotypes are taped to their backs based on how the other residents are treating them.
- Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead Celebration)
- Losar: Tibetan New Year
- Eklectic West African Dance
- Hunger Banquet
- Gay or Straight? Panel
- Presented by the LGBT & Ally Education Program
- Stomp the Yard- Origins & Culture of Step
- Foods of the World
- Savage Stereotypes
- Discuss what residents think is racism and compare them to the stereotypes of Native Americans.
- Aloha! Taste Hawaii.
- Privileges- Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Give residents ice cream, food or candy based on their height and eye/hair color. Follow up with a discussion on discrimination.
- Taste the Rainbow!
- Flags of the Hall
- Have residents create flags of their origins and discuss the meanings. Hang them in the lounge for everyone to see.
- Monster Mash
- Celebrate Halloween as done in other countries with the residents
Our Mission Statement
The Office of Residence Life at James Madison University is committed to designing and maintaining a caring environment that encourages academic success, respect, personal growth and responsibility to one's community.