No student may keep, use, possess, display or carry any rifle, shotgun, handgun, knife, other edged weapon, or other lethal or dangerous instrument capable of maiming and/or casting a projectile by air, gas, explosion or mechanical means on any property, in any building owned or operated by the university, or in any vehicle on campus. This includes, but is not limited to, BB guns, bullets, paintball guns and pocket knives. Reasonable facsimiles of weapons are not allowed. Students who need to store weapons used during hunting season may contact Campus Police for guidelines. See the JMU Student Handbook for additional information on the weapons policy.
Options for Disciplinary Action
JMU students are expected to maintain a high level of maturity, responsibility and common sense regarding their behaviors and actions. In addition, students are responsible for understanding policies, rules and regulations contained in the JMU Student Handbook, the ORL Guidebook, their JMU Residential Contract, the JMU Honor Code and information from residence hall staff members. Students may contact their resident adviser or hall director if they have questions.
The following are possible disciplinary actions that might be taken after a student violates the residence hall policies, rules or regulations:
- Residence hall incident documentation
- Follow-up discussion with a staff member
- Behavior contracts or agreements
- Educational assignments, special projects or flexible sanctions
- Referral to other campus agencies
- Payment for damages/restitution
- Restriction from a specific residence hall or building for a specified time period
- ORL Official Letter of Warning
- Judicial referral
Our Mission Statement
Shooting hoops on Lakeside courts