The Office of Equal Opportunity coordinates and monitors campus compliance with the requirements of federal and state non-discrimination laws, including (but not limited to): Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Equal Pay Act; the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act; the Age Discrimination Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act; Executive Order 11246; and (in coordination with the Assistant to the President) Title IX of the Higher Education Act of 1972. (See our Policies & Laws page for further details.)
In addition, the Office of Equal Opportunity provides the following services:
- The OEO interacts with departments to promote the hiring of individuals who best meet the position expectations and who are also regarded as underrepresented in the university. In this capacity the OEO advises and audits recruitment and hiring of faculty for compliance with affirmative action policies.
- The Office administers University Policy 1324 – the Discrimination and Harassment Complaint procedure—and provides a place where individuals who feel that they have been subjected to sexual harassment, discrimination or harassment due to race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, political affiliation or disability can file a complaint for an impartial resolution.
- OEO provides information, consultation, and resources for issues relating to the non-discrimination laws, equal employment opportunity, and affirmative action policy. The Office also provides guidance and evaluates efforts to improve access to campus facilities and programs as well as advising staff, faculty, and visitors regarding disability accommodations.
- The Office of Equal Opportunity sponsors programming which enhances and promotes interpersonal communication and an appreciation of the humanistic attributes of the various equity groups. The OEO also sponsors workshops and conferences on various subjects such as sexual harassment, disabilities/ADA, affirmative action, and equal employment opportunity laws.
- OEO also exchanges ideas with other progressive universities/organizations to implement affirmative and equal employment strategies to improve the workforce at the university.