Once Admitted to JMU
JMU is committed to insuring that students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to fully access and participate in their educational experience at JMU.
Disability Services is available to assist you in identifying your special needs, and providing and coordinating accommodations, support services and programs that will give you an equal opportunity and help you maximize your learning potential as you make the transition into, through, and out of the university.
Once you have chosen JMU, the following guidelines will assist you in making a smooth transition into the university:
- Review the Disability Services web page for accommodations, services, policies and procedures.
- Submit current, comprehensive, professional documentation of your disability to Disability Services. Your documentation will be evaluated based on the appropriate guidelines located on the website at: www.jmu.edu/ods/Documentation.shtml.
- Complete a Disability Services Application for services and a Consent for the Release of Information. Return all three to the Office of Disability Services. (Call ODS at 540-568-6705 and ask to have the Application and Release sent to your e-mail address.)
- We will review your documentation and call to set up a meeting to discuss it further.If your documentation meets our guidelines, we will complete the registration process and discuss appropriate accommodations. (If you submit documentation, but for some reason do not hear from ODS within 2 weeks, then please call to ask for a meeting.)
- Please understand that your Summer Springboard Orientation Session is scheduled tightly to allow you to participate in a number of activities that are essential to your effective transition into JMU. Therefore, we do not typically schedule Registration appointments with ODS on your Orientation day. If you submit comprehensive documentation at least one week in advance (preferably two), you may ask to schedule an appointment on the day before or the day after your Summer Springboard date.
Other Sites to Visit:
- Orientation - www.jmu.edu/orientation/ for additional, important info about your transition to JMU.
- JMU Onebook - www.jmu.edu/onebook/ Use the Onebook calendar to take the steps to prepare for your first year at Madison.
It is the student's responsibility to arrange for certain services which are outside the scope of Disability Services and the University. These services include, but may not be limited to: attendant care, mobility training, items / services of a personal nature and sources of financial aid. Disability Services will be glad to consult with you regarding your special needs and possible local resources.