Students: Apply to Work at UREC!
Gain valuable work experience and Motivate Madison into Motion! Applications for Fall and/or Summer 2014 are now available for the following positions:
- Adventure Specialist: Responsible for participant experiences at the UREC climbing wall and adventure equipment rental center. Staff will belay participants, teach climbing and belaying basics, and monitor participants at the wall. Staff will also play an active role in the maintenance and upkeep of all adventure program equipment. Experience belaying is recommended as well as personal outdoor experience. Hours are 5-15 per week. Contact Guy deBrun for more information.
- Computing Operations/Technology Assistant: Technology Assistants report to the Technology Manager and will serve as a resource to all UREC staff and students for all computing and technology-related issues. Must quickly respond and troubleshoot software, hardware and network problems for computers, tablets and printers. Problem solving and customer service skills are essential for this position to effectively communicate technical issues to staff members. Additional duties include researching new technologies to improve UREC’s services and maintaining inventory of hardware and software resources. Technology Assistants will need a working knowledge of the following applications: Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Mac OS X and Office for Mac. Must also be willing to quickly learn UREC’s complex technology environment including specialized registration software and Microsoft Access databases.Contact Scott Mersiovsky for more information.
- EMTs: EMTs provide first aid to the participants of UREC facilities within the limits of the EMT certification. The EMT's also supervise and provide first aid during sport club practices and games. One must have a current EMT-B certification as well as CPR for the Professional Rescuer to apply. Contact Matt Lovesky for more information.
- Facilities Assistant: Facilities Assistant will work alongside the Facilities Manager to perform required maintenance and risk management inspections at University Park, East Campus Fields, Mauck Stadium, Godwin Hall, and the Auxiliary Gym in Memorial Hall. They will also assist with field painting and maintaining facility aesthetics. Contact Jason Ritter for more information.
- Fitness Assistants: Fitness Assistants supervise a two-level, 10,000 square foot fitness area and the participants in it. They educate participants on the components and principles of fitness, provide orientation instruction on use and set-up of facility exercise equipment, enforce policies and procedures related to the operations of the fitness area, and perform preventative maintenance and housekeeping duties. Contact Holly Bailey for more information.
- Informal Recreation Assistants: Recreation Assistants maintain and prepare all open recreation areas including the gymnasium, multi-activity center, track, racquetball courts, and turf field. This includes enforcement of policy and procedures, maintaining safety and cleanliness throughout the facility and provide exceptional service to UREC participants. Contact Keala Mason for more information.
- Lifeguards: Lifeguard watch over all persons using the UREC aquatic facilities. The staff also provides aquatic and safety program information to the participants of UREC. One must hold a current Red Cross Lifeguard Training certification, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, and First Aid to apply. Contact Matt Lovesky for more information.
- Marketing Assistants: Marketing Assistants are responsible for the promotion and dissemination of information regarding all University Recreation programs, facilities and services. This includes the design and implementation of various marketing and communication efforts. Experience and/or knowledge of marketing, writing, design, communications and graphic design are preferred. Contact Kristin Gibson for more information.
- Maintenance Assistants: Maintenance Assistants work alongside the Maintenance Manager and operations staff to perform required maintenance and repairs on pool systems and building hardware. They will also assist in maintaining facility aesthetics and grounds. Contact Rick Orebaugh for more information.
- Member Services Assistants: Member Services Assistants monitor participants’ entrance to UREC and University Park including, but not limited to, swiping JAC’s, conducting Fusion/ flex transactions and handling participants issues. Monitor participants’ exit and assist with proper check-put procedures. Serve as information agents of UREC, promoting UREC programs, services and facilities. Assist participants with registration of programs and activities. Assist participant with process and service of towel and locker rentals. Assist participants in check in/out of Informal recreation and Adventure equipment both at UREC and University Park Equipment Centers. Contact Lorie Miller for more information.
- Nutrition Analyst/Fitness Assistants: Nutrition Analyst/Fitness Assistants evaluate three-day dietary recalls for students, staff and faculty with the aid of a computer software program. Pre and post-consultations are used in the process. They also provide interactive information tables at health fairs and conduct educational presentations on nutrition-related topics. Also fulfills job responsibilities of a Fitness Assistant. Contact Holly Bailey for more information.
- Summer Camp Counselors: Camp Counselor responsibilities include providing a safe and enjoyable environment for campers between the ages of 6 and 12, facilitate/lead activities that promote life-long learning, recreation and wellness as well as assist with administrative camp duties. Current CPR and First Aid certification is required. Must be able to attend training week in the summer as well as each session. Previous camp experience is preferred. Contact Keala Mason for more information.
- Team Sport Officials: Officials are responsible for enforcing rules of play and providing supervision for safety, fair play, and sportsmanship for various intramural activities. Official training will be available for interested parties prior to the start of each intramural season. Officials also have the opportunity to be a part of the Student Officials Association. Advancement opportunities are available with certification. Visit this page for more information!
The deadline to apply will be March 7. Applicants MUST apply at at JMU Joblink for consideration - click on "View/Apply for Student Positions."
Learn more about UREC Student Employment.
Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Last Updated: Wednesday, February 1, 2017