2013 June Salary Increase


 
image: /_images/president/alger-welcome-hand-shake-655x393.jpg

June 6, 2013

Dear Colleagues:
 
Thank you again for a great academic year.
 
In a note to faculty and staff on February 26, 2013, I provided an update on the Commonwealth’s budget and the impact on James Madison University.  This update included encouraging news about faculty and staff salary increases.  The university has remained committed to working diligently on behalf of all faculty and staff to identify funding for a long overdue salary increase.
 
The Commonwealth’s budget includes a 3 percent salary increase for AP Faculty. It is important to understand that when the Commonwealth announces such an increase, JMU must cover a major portion of that increase.  To be exact, the Commonwealth funds 47 percent of the increase and JMU funds the remaining 53 percent.  I’m happy to report that our budget planning includes the 53 percent.
 
Furthermore, it was our hope to do more.  So today, based on careful budgeting and priority-setting, I’m pleased to announce that JMU is providing money for an additional 1 percent to all AP Faculty, as well as $50 per year of service for AP Faculty who have been continuously employed by the state for 5 years or more up to a maximum of 30 years. The maximum increase possible is a total of 5.5 percent of base salary. AP Faculty employed by the state fewer than 5 years will receive a 4 percent total raise. This increase is effective July 25th of 2013 and will be included in the August 16th paycheck.
 
It is worth noting that JMU has made significant progress on compensation issues during the last 18 months. JMU faculty and staff have received multiple bonuses, including two within the last 10 months. In addition, the University is covering the recent increase in the employer healthcare premium at approximately $1,600 per employee.
 
While we know that we continue to face significant budget constraints, we are making it a priority to invest in our people—our most important resource. We are committed to addressing the compensation issues for our faculty and staff.  Currently, the Senior Leadership and I are reviewing the report from the Compensation Task Force.  View the complete report from the Compensation Task Force.  As we know, our compensation plans require a multi-year and multi-phased approach, and we will continue to consider ideas and recommendations to make progress on this front.
 
Today represents an important step in the right direction.  Thank you for your significant contributions to James Madison University and service to our students and faculty.
 
Sincerely,
Jonathan R. Alger
President

Published: Thursday, June 6, 2013

Last Updated: Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Back to Top

    Related Articles

  • mountain quad photo President's Fall Update

    As we embark on another year, let us embrace the spirit of possibility and and all that we can accomplish, and the principles of community with the emphasis on unity.

  • mountain quad photo President's Welcome Back Message

    As we embark on another year, let us embrace the spirit of possibility and and all that we can accomplish, and the principles of community with the emphasis on unity.

  • Commencement Panorama Alumni Update

    Commencement ceremonies last week marked the end to another successful academic year. We are pleased to welcome 4,365 graduates to the alumni family. Graduation offers an opportunity to reflect on all that"s happened