Get involved with Dukes Step Up! during orientation
Students are often faced with situations where they can help – a friend, a peer, a teammate, a group member, or a complete stranger - in a social situation. Unfortunately students often lack the knowledge and skills to be able to step up when the time is right. We want YOU to teach the incoming class of 2018 how to do this!
We are seeking facilitators for the Dukes Step Up! program that will run during orientation week this fall. You will be specially trained to co-facilitate a 75-minute, interactive program with FROG groups on campus. The goal of this program is to encourage fellow students to become more aware of their surroundings, and to develop the skills necessary to intervene in situations involving hazing, intimate partner violence, or alcohol before they become emergencies.
- Have comfort speaking in front of a large group (up to 40 participants).
- Possess an energetic, dynamic personality with the ability to work with diverse personalities in a training setting.
- Be in Harrisonburg and FULLY available for training (8:30am-5:00pm) on Aug. 19, 20, and for program delivery on Aug. 21 (with availability from 8:30am until 9:30pm on this last date).
- Please note that students who will be living on campus will be able to move into their residence halls early.
- For students who are living off-campus, we can send a letter to your complex/landlord stating that you are involved with an official JMU 1787 Orientation event and ask for them to consider letting you move in early. However, it is up to you to negotiate specific dates and details for moving in early. We will need for you to let us know where to send the letter.
Students will receive a Dukes Step Up! t-shirt, catered meals for three days, other incentives, and will be qualified to facilitate future Dukes Step Up! programs throughout the school year.
- 1pm April 21
- 4pm April 21
- 2pm April 22
- 4pm April 24
- 1pm April 25