Frequently Asked Questions

What's happening at JMU?
You'll find the most up-to-date event listings on the JMU website by clicking on "calendars" or visiting This section highlights campus events that are open to the public including lectures and cultural events as well as university holidays. For information about athletic events, visit

Where can I buy tickets to JMU events?
Tickets for many JMU events can be purchased through the University Box Office in Warren Hall. The Box Office is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Visit

For tickets to athletic events, call (540) 568-DUKE or visit the athletic box office in Room 102 of the Convocation Center. Tickets are required for JMU football, basketball, soccer and baseball games. All other JMU athletic events are free.

For tickets to Masterpiece Season events, call (540) 568-7000 or 877-201-7543 (toll free).

Where can I park on campus?
Any vehicle parked on university-owned or leased property is required to display a valid JMU parking permit. A free, temporary parking passes is available for visitors through JMU Parking Services. The office is on the ground level of the Champions Drive Parking Deck, beside Bridgeforth Stadium. Parking Services' business hours are Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. You will need to present a valid driver's license and vehicle registration to receive a permit. View the campus parking map at For more information, call (540) 568-3300 or visit

Who can I contact to find JMU student volunteers?
JMU's Office of Community Service Learning establishes relationships with local community agencies and with which to partner student volunteers. CS-L also maintains an ongoing calendar of local community projects. Student groups are encouraged to check this calendar to find volunteer opportunities. If you would like more information about becoming a CS-L Partner Agency or submitting your project for free publicity, visit or call (540) 568-6366.

There are many student clubs and organizations on campus that may be interested in volunteering or working on particular projects. Learn more about these groups at or contact JMU Office of Student Activities and Involvement at (540) 568-8157.

Can my organization use JMU facilities for events or conferences?
JMU has several facilities that are available for use by the public, including the Festival Conference & Student Center, the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum and Grafton-Stovall Theatre. Most bookings are handled through the JMU Events & Conference office. Detailed information about JMU facilities, rates and scheduling is online at Contact the Event Management Team by phone at (540) 568-6330.

Can I use the JMU libraries?
JMU libraries are open to all community members during normal operating hours. To check out materials, bring a photo ID and your Massanutten Regional Library Card. For more information on what is housed in Carrier Library, East Campus Library and the Music Library, visit or call (540) 568-6150.

How do I apply for a job at JMU?
JMU is the area's number one employer with more than 3,000 faculty and staff members in the areas of Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, Student Affairs and University Planning, University Advancement, Office of the President and Intercollegiate Athletics. Job applications are completely online for all positions. Start your search at For more information, contact the Office of Human Resources at (540) 568-3825 or

Can I take courses at JMU?
JMU offers undergraduate, graduate, non-degree, adult degree completion, workforce development and programs for all ages. If you're a prospective student, learn more about what courses may best suit your interests at, or read the frequently asked questions guide at

How can I take a tour of the JMU campus?
We would love for you to visit campus!

If you're thinking of attending JMU, consider having a traditional campus visit with an informational session led by an admissions counselor and a walking tour of campus. Learn more at or call (540) JMU-JMU1.

  • Self-guided walking tour booklets highlight eleven of the campus' oldest buildings. You can find the booklets in the Alumni Office in the Leeolou Alumni Center, the Admissions Office in Sonner Hall, the Parent Relations Office at 220 University Blvd. and the Centennial Office in Alumnae Hall.
  • You can view major facilities at the university online through a Virtual Campus Tour.
  • A video tour of UREC — the University Recreation Center — can be viewed online at
  • Garden maps of the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum can be downloaded at

What if you get lost? There are three University Information sites on campus that are equipped to answer your questions and get you where you need to be. They are full service stops with campus information, a cool place to rest for a few moments and easy access to restrooms. Most are also conveniently located near vending machines and/or food service. UI sites: 1st floor of Wilson Hall (the central bluestone building on the quad; look for the striking white cupola), top floor of Sonner Hall (the first building after entering campus from Port Republic Road), 2nd floor of the Festival Conference & Student Center and 1st floor of Taylor Hall.

How do I contact a friend at JMU?
Search for the person's campus e-mail, phone and mailing information online at

Can I exercise at the University Recreation center?
The University Recreation Center, affectionately known as "UREC," is an on-campus wellness facility. UREC is open for community tours, and the immediate family of JMU employees may workout for free on weekends. Guests of JMU students, faculty and staff can also use the facility for a small fee paid through the campus FLEX system. Learn more by calling the UREC hotline at (540) 568-UREC, or read the policy guidelines online at .

Where can I buy JMU gifts?
JMU has one bookstore on campus, located on Bluestone Drive near Godwin Hall. Its hours of operation reflect the academic year; in other words, when students are buying books, they'll have longer hours and more register lines open. The bookstore sells a variety of JMU memorabilia, school supplies, textbooks and other merchandise. Learn more at or call (540) 568-3989.