West Grace Street to close to vehicular traffic
The City of Harrisonburg Department of Public Works advises that West Grace Street will be closed to vehicular traffic from Nov. 5 through Feb. 24, 2014 from Walnut Lane to the railroad tracks for sewer line and water line reconfigurations for James Madison University’s new student housing project.
The portion of Grace Street from Main Street to Walnut will be closed to the public as well but will remain open for residents, their visitors, contractors and parking lot access noted below.
The closure is necessary to accomplish modification of existing utilities and installation of new utilities.
The closure plan maintains safe access for Walnut Lane traffic. Pedestrian traffic will be maintained for the duration of project and Monger Lumber will remain accessible via Chesapeake Ave. from the High St. side of West Grace St.
Signage will convey safety and directional information, and will also mark a temporary city transit bus stop at 396 High St. between Grace and Cantrell by the bank building.
The following parking lots will remain accessible from High Street onto Grace Street:
- R-11 Parking lot (former Rockingham Cooperative area)
- Studio Center Parking lot (C-6)
- 131 Grace St. offices parking and United Way parking areas
Other parking lots will be accessible as follows:
- S-Parking lot located behind Anthony-Seeger Hall and Grace Street House will be accessible from Main Street but will only have one single point of entry and exit. Individuals will be asked to follow directional arrows signs in order to park in S-Lot.
- Facility Maintenance Parking Area—Individuals will be asked to exit only onto West Grace Street from University Services Building parking area.
- Entry into University Services Building parking area for deliveries, material drop offs, gas pump access or garage access will be accessible from the lane that runs behind the University Services Building and exits onto West Grace Street.
Questions should be directed to the JMU Community Affairs office at 568-4750.
Published: Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Last Updated: Thursday, March 3, 2016